first duck...

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

first duck...

Postby slepe67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:56 pm

Today I shot my first duck, a drake Woodie. I have it in a plastice freezer bag, in the freezer, guts and all. I want to mount it, but, do I freeze it, guts and all? What about the meat? How do I go about dressing it, especially if I plan on getting it mounted? e.g. cut where? :salude:
slepe67
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:16 pm

cut where?

No where. If you have access to a vaccum packager, seal it up until you can get it to the taxidermist, this will keep it from dehydrating in the freezer if you plan to keep it there for any amount of time.

Congrats on the first duck. :thumbsup:
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:14 am

Correct, please don't try to recover the meat from this bird. Good advice on using the vacuum sealer, just make sure the duck is frozen before you vacuum-seal it, and make sure you don't thaw it while under vacuum. It will draw the blood out of the bird, and make it more difficult to remove the blood during the mounting process. First duck was a Woodie? That's a trophy that eludes alot veterans. Congratulations!

I hate to say this, but if you are getting it mounted, I wouldn't worry about the two small nuggets of meat you'll recover, if you decided to breast it out yourself. The Taxidermist makes a relatively small inscision when he skins your bird, and if you REALLY wanted it, he might give it to you. I wouldn't worry about waste at this point. Once it goes to the Taxidermist, that rule becomes null and void.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slepe67 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 am

Thanks for the advice...now to find a taxidermist. That's the one thing that sucks about moving to a new area, you dont know anyone. I have abut 3 guys back home in MT that I could get this done on the cheap..oh well, guess I'll meet some new people now;) Thanks again!
slepe67
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:12 pm

Freeze the bird and OVERNIGHT mail it to your buddy in Montana (?). Nothing says you have to use a local taxi.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:38 am

I mail stuff all the time back to CO cus that where my tax'e is. :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum