Bad planning, need HELP?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Bad planning, need HELP?

Postby RedTx » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:05 pm

Guys I just got finished fleshing a hen ring neck. My problem is I wasn't thinking. The legs aren't dry, or painting yet. The artificial head is also not painted. The skin is in my refrigerator in a zip lock bag. I just Got finished running it through the spin cycle. Here are my questions?

1) I'm going to refreeze the skin until the legs and head are done. How do I do this? Do I leave it wet like it is? Do I fluff the feathers and leave the skin moist, and then refreeze?

2) I tried to use masters blend in the legs, for the first time. The legs where a little freezer burned. When I tried to inject the MB it would immediately come out. It wouldn't go into the areas I wanted as I expected it just keep coming out the hole the needle just made?

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it.
Do you believe in the MEAN GREEN
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:09 am

The feet are quite often dried out. So they will need to be rehydrated. Soak them in water, and they should come back. You can also remove them entirely, and soak them and add them to the mount later. I read a post where Mr. Taxidermologist uses this method.

Freeze the skin wet. You can also tape off the feathered portion of the bill, and paint it after the bird is complete.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum