Critique my third mount ever!!!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Critique my third mount ever!!!

Postby RedTx » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Guys I want you to tell be how I did on this ringneck hen. Be honest and dont sugar coat it. Things didnt turn out as planned. I dont think I fleshed it out well enough. Let me have it :yes:

Do you believe in the MEAN GREEN
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby Spencer5100 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:52 pm

just saw it over on the fuge.. hats off :thumbsup:
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:51 am

looks good to me but isn't the bill color alittle off? Why do you think that you didn't flesh it good enough?
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby RedTx » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:59 am

The color of the bill is way off. I will chnage that. The fleshing IM not sure if I did a good enough job or not. I think mor of confidence than anything.
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby Northern Stalker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:25 am

Looks pretty good for a 3rd mount.
I would spend alittle more time preening those back feathers...sometimes it takes abit of time getting them laid out correctly, as far as fleshing goes
I think alot of first birds don't get fleshed good enough, if you don't have a wheel...get one and practice on birds that won't break your heart if they don't turn out great. The more fleshing you do the better and more confident you will get.

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:17 pm

you said thats a ringneck? but...its got a bluebill bill

other than the bill i think its a good looking mount
Last edited by Wilsona018 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:37 pm

umm.... ringnecks do have blue bills... so do redheads... and bluebills... do an image search on ringreck ducks and you can see pic's
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:44 pm

Redheads have teh black tip with white behind and then the blue, bluebills have all blue with a black tip, ringnecks have all blue with a white outline then the black tip, all very similar but each different
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:27 pm

jjohnson you are the one who needs to look at the pictures ISHOOTDIVERS is right they look similar but they are all different

heres a ringneck hen

and heres a bluebill hen
[/img][/url]
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:38 pm

i do apologize... i thought you said that it looks like it has a blue bill... not bluebill bill... my bad... i take it back... too many danged bills in the bluebill bill sentance...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Wilsona018 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:41 pm

dont apologize, it was just a miss communication...i was just making sure ya understood what i was trying to say
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:45 pm

Other than the bill problem, I dont see anything wrong except..... why did you mount a ringneck hen?! IMO it is not worthy enough of a duck for my wall. But congrats!! Maybe Ill try to do that myself this next year....
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:58 pm

I think it looks great! :thumbsup:
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby RedTx » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:22 pm

CrackerJackShot wrote:Other than the bill problem, I dont see anything wrong except..... why did you mount a ringneck hen?! IMO it is not worthy enough of a duck for my wall. But congrats!! Maybe Ill try to do that myself this next year....
Not that the ringneck hen is not a beatiful duck in it own way. I just didnt what to chalk a good duck up to practice :thumbsup:
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:10 pm

HEY. I now see your point!!! :salude: definatly a good reason . Good luck on your beautiful drake mounts!!!!!! :thumbsup:
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby duck jerky » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:38 pm

that's not bad for your third. other then the bill you did a great job. I wish mine looked that good after only my third. :thumbsup:
duck jerky
hunter

Postby Northern Stalker » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:00 pm

So hen ducks are not worthy of mounting?

I guess each guy has his own opinion, but to say hen ducks are not worth mounting is like saying they don't taste as good as the drakes!
Some hens are just as pretty as drake birds in thier own way, hen Eiders may not be as colorful but thier patterns in thier plummage are striking!

It really depends, if you want a mount that truley represents the species justice a single drake or 2 drakes doesn't always do it.

Cracker Jack Shot, a hen Ringer isn't worthy of your wall? You must have only the rarest of species on your wall??? To a taxidermist it isn't always about working on the most brightly plummed birds or the rarest, it is ALL about representing the species accuratley, and yes if I had a hen Ringer of my own in the freezer she would be going on the wall!
-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:30 am

Northern Stalker,

I agree with you totally. The only difference is that most people that wouldn't consider a hen on their wall, are the same people who don't take the plunge and try to mount their own bird. It could get a bit pricey if you had to pay full price to have every bird on the wall! Isn't it nice to be able to mount your own bird? So you think you'd like a Hen Eider? LOL!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:56 am

Yea i not to sure that was a good thing to say to a bunch of die hard duk hunters and mounters, it like saying a doe is no good to shoot cuz it ain't got horns. Anyhow i love the mount and wish i could do that, havn't tackled mounts yet maybe one day.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:30 am

LAredneck, sorry but not as good of an analogy. I shoot tons of does. Northern Stalker. Not what Im saying at all. Pete-pec is right, it does get a lil pricey to put hen and drake of each species up. Now forgive me if you dont view this the same way but, if I had to pick one of each species, im going with the drakes. If I would put a hen up I would do a pair!! I love pairs they look so natural. I actually DO intend to pick up on trying to mount my own birds, but not for a couple of years. I have just picked up a couple of other hunting related hobbies that I am pursuing first!!! :thumbsup: Hope this makes things a lil clearer.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Sorry for mix up

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:23 am

I do understand, it just sounded funny saying the hen wasn't worthy of your wall...when you coulda said I just don't wanna shell out money for the hen to be mounted.
It is wise to pay the extra and get a quality mount, since there are a wide wide range of prices out there, it will reflect in the quality.
The worst line you'll hear someone say is....I know it isn't the best mount but...it only cost me....yikes guys for folks who pay up to 50 grand for a truck, 20 grand for the boat plus we all know how fast calls, decoys and all the garb adds to to, alot of folks won't pay the decent price for a quality mount? they spend ALL this money and when the final goal is reached some guys cheap out, I think it is just hilarious.
CrackerJack Shot I'm not referring to you...the post just lead me in the direction of $ to the taxidermist....which is always well spent :yes:

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:55 am

Right now my dad and I each have a bird at the same taxidermist. Im gettin a beaut of a pintail done and my dad, a hooded merganser. I think total their going to be goin for 250 together. Ive seen some of this guys mounts and I believe we'll both be more than happy. Fixin to get a banded mallard done as well.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum