Help me with taxidermy

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Help me with taxidermy

Postby goosedowner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:36 am

I was just at a taxidermist shop and he said that i could bring in some snow geese and he would help and show me what i need to do. And if i like it he would give me lessons and then eventually i would be able to have my own shop. So if you guys have any tips for me let me know. :help:
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Go smaller first

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:42 am

OK, first tip is don't start off with a goose. They are alot of work and you will get frustrated...trust me.
I would start with a diver duck of some sort such as a Scaup or Ringneck duck.
Also a couple of the biggest areas I see that people's problems are necks and leg placement those are 2 key areas that can make or break a mount.
If you find someone willing to teach you ...take them up on the offer and glean as much information from them as you can. Also don't be discouraged by others in the field...yes I'm going to say it ...there are alot of taxidermist who are jerks, not to general people but to others who share their interest. Good luck and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask are alot of helpful folks here!

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:53 am

Northern Stalker hit the nail on the head. If most taxidermists think there is just a chance that he'll lose some business to the competitor, then he'll either slam the other guys work, or never share anything with him again. Some fellow taxidermists get all worked up when another taxidermist shares some of his knowledge with another, or a novice. If they would only realize that the important ingredient to good business, is just that . Practice good business, be friendly, do quality work, charge a fair price, and you'll grow your business on your name and reputation alone. Don't take shortcuts! I think the best way to learn taxidermy, is to do exactly what your doing. Work hands on with a knowledgable taxidermist, starting out with skinning and fleshing. This is where you'll learn the most about the anatomy of a bird, and you'll soon appreciate why they charge what they do. I skin and flesh birds for two taxidermists, and not only does it make there job easier, but it makes me better. The most important thing to remember, is you can't make a crappy bird to begin with look good. It is very important to start with a nicely plumed fully mature bird. Divers are thicker skinned than Puddle ducks, but you will eventually have to work with both. Like Northern Stalker said, start with the divers, and be prepared to cuss when you do your first Teal or Woodie. If you have any question come up as you are going, feel free to ask, but you definately will be ahead of the average novice if you work hands on.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosedowner » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks guys this was very helpfull i will let you guys know how it works out. The guy that i will be working with works with my dad and he is a friend of the family so i dont think he will get mad at me even if i take some business away from him.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum