Buying a pheasant

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Buying a pheasant

Postby BSUTravis » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:39 pm

Everyone says to start out with a pheasant....however in Central Indiana there aren't any in the wild to shoot... Does anyone know where you can order them? I've seen some on taxidermy.net, but I'm just not too sure about getting them from an individual like that. (Is it even legal to kill a game bird and then sell it on-line like that???)

Anyway, if anyone knows of anywhere let me know please.

Thanks,
Travis
BSUTravis
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:31 pm

People who sell birds are all captive birds and have permits to do so, anyone can gift someone a wild bird but not sell it.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Normally upland birds are legal to sell (wild or pen raised). So yes, you can sell or buy a wild bird from someone unless State regulations do not allow you to either to buy or sell. You'll need to check with either state. I live in Wisconsin, and can sell any wild upland bird, with the one exception Wild Turkeys. The other birds that fall under the same guidelines as waterfowl are Snipe and Woodcock. ISHOOTDIVERS is right on when talking about waterfowl though. They cannot be traded, bartered, or sold if they are wild birds. Yes they can be gifted by an individual, provided they have the correct documentation. Now you have to find someone from Iowa or the Dakotas to gift you a Pheasant. You can also buy a farm raised bird from a reputable breeder. MacFarlane Pheasant farm in Janesville WI is world known. Just do a simple search, and you'll find them. I will tell you however that a diver duck is pretty comparable to an upland bird, but yes a pheasant is an easier bird.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Thanks

Postby BSUTravis » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:02 am

for the replies........ I need to just go out to the Dakotas and kill my own pheasant! :)
BSUTravis
hunter

the best hacherie locater i have found so far

Postby SCDuckHunter2 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 pm

hi just wanted to pass this website to you. WWW.Feathersite.com/poultry/BRKhatcheries.html
There are several places that you can purchase pheasants on there. it is a list of hatcheries and all of them are listed by state so you can find one close to you. unfortunately i have only found one that sells the ducks i am looking for and i can't get them to answer the phone. good luck!
SCDuckHunter2
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum