Fresh batch out the door

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Fresh batch out the door

Postby AAR » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:05 pm

17 left today, 7 more ready for pickup this week. Not too bad of a batch, nothing on the uncommon side but nice mounts none the less. Took some time to mount up my white-cheeked pintail and cinnamon pair from Peru so that coastal strap is all done now, will post pics up soon.

Wood duck pair on knothole. That artificial stuff really worked well for this type of scene.

Speck with wings really cupped to compliment one I had posted for a customer in the past. Nice barring.

Wood duck drake with a lot of action, flushing with wings stroking down. Shows a great deal of colors no doubt.

Nothing like a big ol' rooster, this is a pretty nice flying pose for the table. Huge neck and wattles on this guy.

Chukar flying belly out, probably the best way to display these types of birds if not going to have them standing.

Hooded Merganser drake swimming, I like these birds swimming probably more than anything else

This is kind of a weird one, looks like a hen but has the black lines beginning to come in and same with the tertials. Not sure if old female, hermaphrodite, or super young male. Interesting bird either way

Thanks for looking,

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: Fresh batch out the door

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:57 am

I like the coloration on the last mount and the wide ''splayed'' feet on the swimming hoodie
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice work!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby jpostx3 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 am

Looking good :thumbsup:
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Agree Eric, bill says old hen. Never get tired of those woodies, and like the wings down approach to the flying wood duck as well. I've been mounting birds in non typical flight patterns as if you're trying to capture a split second of time. I find you sometimes need to explain the pose or show the reference picture to certain people so the "get" it. I still think it's better to mix it up a bit than get stuck in a rut, and do all traditional stuff. I know I appreciate seeing something that hasn't been done! Unfortunately not much of that "new" stuff left. The power of the internet has opened the gateway for ideas and references......and copy-cats! :yes:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Silewski11 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:01 pm

They all look great! :thumbsup: Especially love the speckled belly!
Silewski11
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum