Bad Taxidermist or Just Me?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Bad Taxidermist or Just Me?

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Okay i was wondering if i can call my taxidermist and ask for my duck back. I sent my duck to him about 6 weeks ago asking for an ice mount for my canvasback. I called him and left messages over and over. He said that before i pay, he needs to know the cost of an ice mount. It does not take 6 weeks to get a quote on an ice mount. I getting so irritated by him that im growing white hairs. He says my bill is so far 180 w/o ice mount. Should i contact him and get my bird back.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:00 pm

Ok dont know the quality of the taxidermist but an ice mount sounds difficult, i Paid 365.00 for two black ducks on driftwood. The guys are the best in my area. Also that is pretty common order for drift wood. I would think if he has done that type of mount before he could at least give you a rough estament.
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:49 pm

Either way that bird is your bird and you can do with it what you want!I am not sure how elaborate you wanted your mount as far as ice is concerned and what not, here is my goldie with some ice, if you care to see it, I also have a drake can being done coming in over a deke I carved sitting on a "ice" shelf with icycles and snowy scene
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:12 am

Don't get upset just yet, you never know what happen, first off you have to realize that taxeies are very busy people weather it there full time job or not, it took a whole year for mine just to finish one of my bass mounts which wasn't normal but it happens and one time (off subject) i bought a pup from someone and tried forever to get aholt of them to get papers and found out she had been going through the big D so give it some time but like ISHOOTDIVERS said there your birds so do what you feel.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:09 am

Duckbuddy, that has been my general experience with taxidermists. They seem to move at their own pace for the most part. Not all, but it does seem like a good number of them do.

I dropped a duck off Jan 9 and was told it would take 3 weeks. I knew that he had to be cutting himself a little short with that kind of guess, and I was right, because he still hasn't got it back to me. It's been right around 7 weeks. :yes:
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:17 am

It took several months for me to get my Snow goose on driftwood done. He is a reputable taxidermist. First off the taxidermist should never accept a critter from a customer without the proper licence documentations, lest the by liable for accepting illegal kills, or guilty of accepting wildlife without proper transfer documents. #2 They will estimate the job and in my taxidermists case will require 1/2 down to do the work and 1/2 at time of deliverey. During waterfowl season, we also have big game seasons and they are always busy. When I bring in a duck not only does he have big game trophies to do but fish as well.
so give them time.....I am sure that they will get to your bird as soon as they can. But if you do not trust this taxidermist getting your bird back may not solve your problem because if it has been in the freezer too long it may no longer be mountable. The taxidermist I use is the one we refer our big game clients to and he is very very good. My snow goose preening on driftwood costs me $260.00.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:28 am

Big Game too?

Maybe you should try a Taxidermist who just does birds!
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:57 pm

duckbuddy!! being a taxidermist myself all I can say is patience, haste makes waste, if you want a nice mount don't push the issue. Ishootdivers that is one of the finest mounts I have seen and I love goldeneyes thanks for sharing.
duckbuddy don't settle for driftwood, cans don't often sit on logs and such and it won't look natural, unlike cans goldeneyes nest in trees the same as woodys, hooded mergansers and buffle heads.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Quickest I ever got a mount back was 7mo. Don't know what you guys are complaining about! Really, I've never heard of 3, 5, 7 or even 8 wks for a mount. Guess my guys stay busy, but I'd rather it take a year and look great than 6mo and look just OK.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:20 am

Jim thanks, and I agree with you goldies are easiest one of my favorite birds, my taxi is a friend luckily, my turn around time on that bird was something like 19 days :yes: I noticed you said you from around Long Point, know this area?

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:03 am

NO not a stuff bird in 6wks, a QUOTE(PRICE CHK) does not take 6wks to get. I dont expect the bird to be ready in 6wks, i just want to know the price so i can set aside money and not worry. Oh yeah, he mounts everything on driftwood, and its true i never seen a can on wood in the wild, so i told him to make an ice mount. Sort of like when the waves freeze type of mount. ISD, ur ice mount is frekkin awesome
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 am

Ishootdivers!! I sure do know that picture, it was taken from the north shore of Long Point Bay about 4 or 5 miles west from our marsh. Myself and two hunting buddies own 66 acres of marsh with 5 ponds and 15 acres under water on the shoreline. That small light house at St. Williams is visible from our shore blind. I have a feeling you might know a fellow named Carlos, he caters to some hunters from Ohio. He's a great guy and has a cottage right across the road from mine. If the opportunity ever arises I would love to get you out on a hunt with me. Let me know if it's a possibility. I never miss a weekend hunt and save holidays for duck hunting. And please show us some pics of that can when you get it back, sounds real interesting. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Jim the first trip to Long Point was with the MLB a few years back my buddies went, last year we all went and this year the trip is in jeopardy due to a buddy not being able to get vacation, we went for a week this year it might be turned into a long weekend, hope not.Do you guys own the marsh out by Turkey Point?I also heard the MLB is going back this year for their convention.When we went we stayed at a bed and breakfast on the north shore just near where the picture was taken, I forgot our hostess name but she was simply awesome to us and we could not have asked for any better.If we venture back up that way this year I'll be sure to let you know, and as soon as the can is back I'll get pics up.Okay sorry to highjack the thread

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby MexicanDuck » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Get your duck back if the work has'nt been started! Six weeks is a ridiculous amount of time for a quote.
MexicanDuck
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm

I would tell everyone not to even bring the animal with you when talking to the taxi. Check out his work, his shop (reasonably neat and clean), talk with him about poses and bases and prices. I wouldn't leave an animal anywhere until the guy/gal gave me an agreed on price and put it in writing when you leave the deposit or full payment. Thats how my buddy runs his shop. Too many people coming back saying "thats not how I wanted it, or thats not the price you quoted me". The guy you left it with could legally come back now and say that you owe him a storage fee when you ask for it back. Lesson learned.......it happens!
:cool:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:24 am

I have had bad luck with taxidermists. In Virginia I dropped off a gobbler and bearded hen (turkeys for the uninitiated) and was told 6 months, tops. I paid my 1600 bucks and chose the pictures of the poses I wanted. 2 1/2 years later I got my mounts, not in the poses I requested. I picked them up 4 years ago. I had to drive from Louisiana to Virginia to visit her shop and get my birds after she quit answering my phone calls for the last 7 months or so of the 2 1/2 years. I'm still pissed. You guys get your ducks inless than 3 months? I'd call that amazing. In Louisiana I never recieved one back in less than 8 months, the normal time being just over a year. This year I'll find out about aAaska. I think it will be a long time here. A friend just dropped off a bear and was told 2 years. Can I mail my ducks to anyone for a faster turn around? I've started a collection in my freezer this month.
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:25 am

I have had bad luck with taxidermists. In Virginia I dropped off a gobbler and bearded hen (turkeys for the uninitiated) and was told 6 months, tops. I paid my 1600 bucks and chose the pictures of the poses I wanted. 2 1/2 years later I got my mounts, not in the poses I requested. I picked them up 4 years ago. I had to drive from Louisiana to Virginia to visit her shop and get my birds after she quit answering my phone calls for the last 7 months or so of the 2 1/2 years. I'm still pissed. You guys get your ducks inless than 3 months? I'd call that amazing. In Louisiana I never recieved one back in less than 8 months, the normal time being just over a year. This year I'll find out about aAaska. I think it will be a long time here. A friend just dropped off a bear and was told 2 years. Can I mail my ducks to anyone for a faster turn around? I've started a collection in my freezer this month.
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:06 am

It is not uncommon for guys to ship their birds to out of town taxidermists. I have several customers that I have never met face to face. The shipping costs can get pretty steep on the bigger flying birds, but on any pose ducks and closed wing big birds, it can be fairly reasonable. I shipped a strutting turkey from here in NC to Louisianna and it cost the customer around $45 for the crating and shipping. I shipped 3 flying gesse in one crate to Ohio and it cost over $160 for the freight alone. The crate was extra.

You should never have to wait over a year for a mount. If the taxidermist takes longer than one year, he/she either needs to hire some help or stop taking work from new customers, IMO. I think 6 months is adequate for most mounts. Some specimens take longer at the tannery and therefore warrant a little extra time in the shop.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Waldoo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:55 am

The guy I use does awesome work. Takes 12 to 18 months for a mount though, but that is because he is good and gets a lot of business. He has his shop opened 6 days a week and has hired 2 helpers, but everyone wants him so it doesnt help much.
2013 - 2014
Turkey - 2
Dove - 37
Blue Wing - 117
Green Wing - 22
Redhead - 5
Shoveler - 8
Pintail - 8
Mallard - 1
Gadwall - 5
Ringneck - 1
Hooded Merganser - 1
Waldoo
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:51 pm

my shop is open 7 days a week and at times depending on my load i have had calls from guys comming thru that need to drop stuff off at 2 or 3 in the am well if your gonna do it do it right,,,,, but the longest i have had a mount in my shop was a mallard scene.... it took 2 months to complete. but it was a cornfiled wetland scene for du
last season we did 145 mallards.70 of the cananda family, over a hundered snows and blues, plus a various number of divers and small puddlers
:thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum