Where Can i buy ducks to mount?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Where Can i buy ducks to mount?

Postby SCDuckHunter2 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:22 pm

I am looking for a place to purchase ducks to mount. i have a new taxidermy business and i have had several people "that don't hunt" inquire about me mounting a duck for them. i am looking for a place to buy wood ducks, mandarins, and other hard to find farm raised ducks. can anyone help?
SCDuckHunter2
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:49 pm

Go to taxidermy.net There is a few sellers on there. Marvin VanBeek, Dave Algrehn, Anitolily, etc. These are all established breeders. Do a google search on the national bird breeders association to find a local bird breeder in your area. I will tell you that some of the breeders are very reluctant to sell to taxidermists. These people love birds so much, that they would never kill a bird to allow someone to mount it. However they often will let people purchase birds that may die unexpectantly.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Pen-Raised Ducks

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:34 am

As far as Wood Ducks and Mandrins go they are probably 2 of the easiest species to get ahold of, many folks breed them.
Yes if you do go after a species such as pen raised Eiders or Harlequins GOOD LUCK because most people who breed these will not sell them to a taxidermist if they are not natural deaths and I don't blame them as they are highly exspensive and RARE in aviculture.
Pete is right you will find plenty of pen-raised birds for sale on taxidermy.net

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum