Any Suggestions

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Any Suggestions

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:32 pm

I dont know if this is possible, but I was wondering if feet can be replaced on a taxidermy bird. I came home from Bass Pro this morning to find my wifes new cat had jumped onto the mantle and chewed both of the feet on my redhead :pissed: Any help or suggestions would be abliged. I know nothing about mounting birds, but if the feet can be replaced that would be great. :pissed:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby kyduck » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Yes they can. My wife's cat did the same thing to my wood duck mount and the taxidermist said it would be no problem to replace.
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby Spoony » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:55 pm

get rid of the cat. yes a godd taxidermist can fix it...Or check out vandykes taxidermy suppies
Spoony
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:43 pm

They may not have your perticular breed of duck, and to say that it is no problem to replace, is an overstatement. If the bird is a flying bird, that will be easier to fix, but if it is a sitting bird, you have to remember that the support wire is in the feet, and it needs to be ran through the form of the duck body to make sure it is anchored firmly (to the form and to the base of the mount). They do make artificial feet, but divers are not a very common line they carry. Was there any type of preservative in the duck feet? It surprises me that a cat would want to eat it otherwise. If it is a flying bird, you can shoot yourself another Redhead and replace the eaten feet with some new ones. I will say it won't look perfect, but it should be good enough for the average person. Once the skin of the bird is preserved, it is pretty dry and the juncture where the leg meets the feather on the leg will be slightly flawed. Hope this answers your question. If you have alot of Redheads in your perticular region, I'd just replace it. That's just me though.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Thanks.

Who wants to buy a newly declawed and neutered cat...................

Ill start the bidding at .001

Too late, sorry guys the cat had an unfortunate accident on its way out the door today.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Bad Kitty!

Postby Northern Stalker » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:32 am

Bummer!
As Pete said if its flying it wouldn't be too hard...if it is standing it is gonna be a pain in the @$$. Even with artifical feet and yes they do carry Redhead feet for about 20.00 bucks a pair.
I think I would kill the cat and if it is a standing Red Head I would also just replace the bird, if you don't shoot many of them let me know and I can help you find a pen raised bird if needed.
Good luck

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:50 am

Kill the cat and when you get your next duk have them both stuffed and have the duck attacking the cat, plack should read, "couriousness it what killed the cat" or "somebody ran out of lives"
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 am

Great idea LAredneck! :salude:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

CAT

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:26 am

Stuff the cat, with the duck in its mouth.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 pm

:laughing: :laughing: :toofunny: :toofunny: I would go for the duck making a retrieve on the cat
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

kill the cat.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum