beginner help

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

beginner help

Postby NJducker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:59 pm

hey guys new to the site, I am very interested in taxidermy , reciently ordered a video on mounting ducks thats what I want to do . a question or two, what kind of tools do I need to get started ? also , are wire brushes good for fleshing. thanks
NJducker
hunter

tools

Postby SCDuckHunter2 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 pm

you can go to www.taxidermy.com and order a kit that includes all of the supplies needed to mount a duck. That is how i got started. inexpensive and keeps you from buying large quantites of chemicals in case taxidermy is not for you. as far as tools, needle to sew up the skin, i am partial to a scalpel for fleshing. you just have to be very careful but i like the control i get with it. also when fleshing birds a lot of the meat can be removed by simply pulling it off of the skin with your fingers once you apply borax to it. they make fleshing tools but they can be very expensive. i also use an airbrush to paint bills and touch up the color of the feet. also need "zap" super glue to glue the skin to the head. this is also available and most taxidermy supply places. just depends on how much you want to spend to get started. your video should tell you what tools they use. i hope this helps you a little. good luck!
SCDuckHunter2
hunter

update my reply

Postby SCDuckHunter2 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:35 pm

by the way i never answered you about he wire brush. it is good to use. takes more time than the fleshing machines but you can do a good job with it. after working for a while you will find what works best for you. just takes practice.
SCDuckHunter2
hunter

Postby NJducker » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:20 pm

thanks for the hlep, cant wait to start!
NJducker
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum