Question About Selling Mounted Ducks

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Question About Selling Mounted Ducks

Postby lil_mikey69 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:18 am

Several years ago I got a pair of mounted Wood Ducks at a Ducks Unlimited show/auction. The time has come where I was interested in selling this mounted pair of ducks. I received no paper work with the animals, but I imagine that since it was through DU that everything is legitmate and legal. I had originally thought of selling the pair on Ebay, but they have many rules for such things, and I'm worried the auction could possibly be removed because I don't have any paperwork, but I'm confident they can be sold. I was just looking for some advise from you guys as you are probably more familiar with the process than I am. Thanks guys. Here is a picture for reference:

lil_mikey69
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:22 pm

It is illegal to sell mounted waterfowl

Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries
PART 20—MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING
Subpart J—Feathers or Skins

Browse Next

§ 20.91 Commercial use of feathers.
(b) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter mounted specimens of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby lil_mikey69 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:56 pm

I realize that it is illegal. But there are permits and such that allow you to legally sell something like that. I was curious as to how that process would work, or if it would be more trouble than its worth.
lil_mikey69
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:49 pm

lil_mikey69,

You are probably correct that because these birds were part of a DU banquet, that they would be legit. But they may not be. If they came with no paperwork, then I'd be suspicious to say the least. JJ is correct on the fact that harvested waterfowl cannot be bought, sold, traded, or bartered, but legally pen-raised birds with the proper documentation can be sold. As long as the documentation is still with the mount, they can be sold as many times as you'd like. However, if you didn't receive the proper paperwork at the time of the auction, then it would be very difficult to get the correct paperwork today. I wouldn't hassle with it. If you don't want them anymore, then gift them to a school, I'd suspect they'd appreciate it greatly. I was at a banquet about five years ago where event holder was offering a Hooded Merganser mount as a auction item, and I know for a fact that it was a shot bird. It just so happened to be a bird that a taxidermist was intending to mount for a customer, only to get stiffed on the mount. He felt it was O.K. to give the bird away, which it was, until there was just one single cent bid on it. That's when it became illegal. The guy (taxidermist) who gifted the bird to the banquet had nothing to worry about, because he had gifted the mount to the banquet holder, and they were the one's who were asking for silent bids on it. So, because it was at a DU banquet, that doesn't necessarily mean that it was all good. This topic also comes up when an estate auction comes up to the auction block. Technically speaking, if the estate had mounted waterfowl as part of the estate, then in all actuality, the auctioneer should start the opening bids and ending bids at absolute zero. It just matters who's there to whitness the "goings on"! I hope this clarifies the situation a bit.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lil_mikey69 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:55 pm

I talked to my dad this evening. The ducks are in fact farm raised, a local guy he used to know(He has since passed). I'm sure the Feds have people tell them all the time that their game is farm rasied etc, so you are probably right that its not worth it. Although the ones on Ebay with papers sell for quite a lot.
lil_mikey69
hunter

Postby wspiller » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:24 pm

just give them to me, it will be ok
wspiller
hunter

your woodducks

Postby truetolife » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:37 pm

the easiest way to tell if they are pen raised is to see if the back lobe on the foot was cut off that is how pen raised birds are marked if they aren't snipped well then they are not legite in the first place. i raise waterfowl so i know. and yes you need a sales and desposal permit through the us fish and wildlife service for the origanal seller to sell then and you should have gotten form3-186 with the birds. without that goodluck.
truetolife
Membership permanently suspended

Postby lil_mikey69 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:46 pm

Sounds like the easiest approach will be to just donate them to some place local.
lil_mikey69
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum