freezing a skinned duck.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

freezing a skinned duck.

Postby Bplandry » Thu May 03, 2012 4:59 pm

alright, I skinned out the whole duck( blue wing teal). but i dont have time to start mounting because of work. how would i go about refreezing the skinned duck for maybe a month?

flesh it first?
put wet paper towels inside it?

how would i freeze the duck, any pointers would help.
Bplandry
hunter

Re: freezing a skinned duck.

Postby duxrus » Thu May 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Just wet it down and freeze. It will be fine .......unless you plan on leaving it for a L-O-N-G time. Then I would also wrap it in soaked paper towels.
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

What Brian said will be fine. I have lots frozen in blocks of ice that are good forever from what I have seen if it is going to be a while before you get back to it.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby bluezman1957 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:08 pm

If you have a vaccum sealer - just seal it and do not do anything with it other than that. Also, never ever never put borax on it unless you are going to mount it up.
bluezman1957
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:35 pm

I will disagree with bluezman on one part of his statement. If the bird is only defatted, and not washed and rinsed, I would do that first. If you want a nightmare, then leave the dirty bird dry. I can promise you, you will be dealing with dried out yellow gunk that is very hard to remove from the skin, and worse from the feathers. However, a vacuum wrapped wet bird skin that is either rinsed with the fat on, or better yet, fleshed and washed and rinsed will be fine forever. I'm with Brian and Pat on this one. I submerge the skin entirely in water, and freeze it into a block of ice. I always flesh, wash, and rinse first, but certainly not needed. Keeping it away from dry air is most important, and yes, the vacuum bag will help, but again, a zip lock will be just fine.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluezman1957 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I did mean to skin it out first - just forgot to put that in. I do it with every bird I have as soon as I get it either home of into a place I can skin it out. I never de-fat them first or remove the heads. Once it is vacuum sealed - it will keep forever.
bluezman1957
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum