Lost Band!! Help!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Lost Band!! Help!

Postby tripleb56 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 am

So to keep a long story short I have a taxidermist mounting one of the banded ross I shot this year in Oregon during the late season snow and speck hunt and he told me to leave the band on the bird for when he mounts it. Well he just called me and let me know that he pulled the ross out of the freezer to skin and that the band is gone. So he is trying to tell me now that the band is my responsibility and that I have to replace it if I want it on the mount. Where can I get the band number for the replica? I didnt keep the email I got with the info. All I know is it was banded in July of 2004 in Nunavut Flats. I would like to get the replica made with the same band number. Oh and you can bet that I told the taxidermist that I will be down after work today to pick up the bird and bring my business elsewhere. Heres a pic of the 2 banded Ross I shot closing day of the 2012 late snow season.
Attachments
untitled4.JPG
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Re: Lost Band!! Help!

Postby Robn1020 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:56 pm

First off, I would probably be a little upset at the taxi. Second, do a google search for replica bird bands. I found several companies that can do it as an exact replica. They usually require the certificate though. Also call Bird Band as I am sure they can look up your number for ya.
18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Postby Louisiana Duck Slayer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Robn1020 wrote:do a google search for replica bird bands. I found several companies that can do it as an exact replica. They usually require the certificate though. Also call Bird Band as I am sure they can look up your number for ya.

hmmm...I was always under the impression that it was against the law to (exactly) reproduce a Federal Bird Band.

As for the information about the band itself, if you call the BBL, 301-497-5790, they can provide that to you (provided you called in the band number in the first place)

I've only had that situation twice and both times, the taxidermist told me to take my band home and he would put it back when my bird was done. Worked out for me
Louisiana Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:19 pm

1st off him loosing your band is TOTAL BS. Bands don't just fall off.......he would have had to remove it before loosing it. That would be the last job he EVER got from me or my friends. I mark every banded bird as such when they come in and ONLY remove the band if it needs to change legs for a certain pose. No need to take it off except to paint (but not necessary). Copping an attitude toward you when HE lost it.... :mad: I myself would already have my goose somewhere else. So let me hear that again...it is your responsibility when it is in HIS freezer :no:

As long as you called it in prior you can just call the 1-800 # and they should send you another certificate if need be or just give you the # of the band.
duxrus
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 pm

I cant believe you left the band with him.
cootlover
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 pm

cootlover wrote:I cant believe you left the band with him.

Why ? We (Taxidermists) don't collect clients bands :lol3: ......well most of us don't anyway. :fingerhead:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:10 am

Your taxidermist is a D-Bag! I don't think he would be wanting to steal your band however, and although very unlikely that it fell off, you may ask if he could do a hard target search in freezer, bags, and ice, and see if it inadvertently fell off. My best guess, is he mislabeled your bird as another, and has at least two birds mixed up. I don't think he sent a bird out that wasn't supposed to be banded, so it should be there?

Now as far as having the same number, I don't see the reason? I would put another band on the bird, and call it good. It just so happens, I'm not one of those guys who gets all excited when he shoots a banded bird. I haven't shot many, and will admit that my first was one of those "FINALLY" moments, but it's not the first thing I look for when downing a bird, nor do I wear them on my lanyard....just not my thing!

Still doesn't make it right that your lame-ass taxidermist wants to place blame on yourself when in fact, he's the dummy who dropped the ball!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dog walker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 am

Well I'm one of those hunters that doesn't get many bands so I would have taken it off. It's just too easy to put back on.
dog walker
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 am

So I called the band report number and was able to get the number off the band and the certificate resent to me via email. And you can bet I met him yesterday and searched his freezer myself and under benches behind cabinets and all over the floor and nothing. :sad: so I took the bird and my 3 other birds back from him and I will be in the market for a new taxi. I am still having some trouble finding a company that makes replica bands so I guess I will just bite the bullet and use the band from my other Ross and just be down one band. Im young so im sure I will collect a few more over the years. oh yeah and if you live in OR and you dont want to be screwed by this guy PM me and I will give you his info.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm

PM ...hell. I would post his dang picture for the world to see.... :mad: :grooving: :mad:

If I were you I would just buy a generic band to go on the bird to keep the look you wanted. Just put your cirtificate in a frame under the mount.

Sorry for you horrible issue with your "taxidermist".... :fingerhead:
duxrus
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 pm

How many Ross geese can one taxidermist possibly have? Getting two mixed up would be unacceptable.
Here's what I would do. Get a reproduction band and put it on. There's no way you can replace the original so why go all crazy trying to get the exact number etc.

I'm going to tell you about my duck and goose bands. I hope it helps to take what I'm going to say after that.
I've shot many ducks and geese that were banded. I used to get all excited about it. Saw a guy who had a whole lanyard full of goose bands and decided that's what I wanted to do. So I stuck a couple bands onto my lanyard and promptly lost the calls, lanyard, and the bands as well.
I did the same thing two or three times and decided bands are a curse to me. I GIVE them away now.I don't have any goose bands now or I'd send you one.

I'm really sorry your band got lost. Lost things have a way of getting found. It's not hopeless. It's not that big a deal. I've never shot a banded Ross goose and I probably never will. Focus on the fact that you got a Ross. That's a big deal. It could be worse...

My taxidermist sold my banded duck. Long story...he took a deposit, I got a letter TWO years later on Dec. 20th demanding payment. I jumped in my truck with cash in hand and raced to his shop the same day I got his letter. He said he was really sorry but had sold my duck(s). I was ready to burn his shop down but got over it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Wow aunt betty!!!

Postby Dirty Doug » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Sorry to hear he did that but that is as illegal as heck..(unless they were gamefarm birds)....not sure how long ago it was but if you contacted the feds lets just say you could get a little payback!
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby pawebfoot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:51 am

go to nationalband.com.you will have to call them and send a copy of your certificate to them plus i think it is $55 to make you a new one.
pawebfoot
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:36 am

pawebfoot wrote:go to nationalband.com.you will have to call them and send a copy of your certificate to them plus i think it is $55 to make you a new one.

X2 this is one of the places I called! The confirmed that you must have the certificate and send em a copy. I wanted all the bands on my mounted birds replicated as I put most of them on a neck chain. But with 7 bands to replicate at 55 bucks I couldn't pull the trigger. :lol3: But in your case, that would be well worth it!
18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Postby Grunt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Look for your band number on ebay, he might be selling it. :tongue:
Grunt
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:02 am

Maybe ask him to look around the freezer. When he froze it maybe the leg shrunk and the band came off? Just a thought and good luck
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 am

Total D-BAG, he is full of it, if you didnt take the band off which you obviously didnt then he freakin lost it, bands do not just fall off under any circumstances especially when they are dead and rapped up in the freezer. I cant stand it when people lie and i really cant stand it when people lie about stuff that is so obvious. I have taken several banded birds to taxidermist and never had a problem. He obviously took it off and lost it somewhere. That is an honest mistake and he should man up to it and say so and offer you a free or discount mount like an honest man would do.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Lost Band!! Help!

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am

Still confused as to why you left it on?

Can take it off and put it back on in 5 seconds.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

I left the band on because the Taxidermist told me to. I am not a professional taxidermist so if they say to do something because that's how they do it then I trust them and l listen to them. OOPS my bad I guess.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby wingcutter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Honk Quack Bang (A sponsor here) makes replica bands to go on the products they sell, not sure if they would make a replica of a customer's band, but might be worth a shot. I have some replica bands, I'd be willing to send you one to use on your mount if you don't care what the number on the band is...
“To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

-Aldo Leopold
wingcutter
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 pm

wingcutter wrote:Honk Quack Bang (A sponsor here) makes replica bands to go on the products they sell, not sure if they would make a replica of a customer's band, but might be worth a shot. I have some replica bands, I'd be willing to send you one to use on your mount if you don't care what the number on the band is...

PM sent. Thanks.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby wingcutter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 am

Let's see that mount with the new band on it BBB56 :beer:
“To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

-Aldo Leopold
wingcutter
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm

i got my first and second band last season. my mallard went to the taxi without the band. the band is on my lanyard and i bought one on ebay for 5 bucks. that one will be going on my finshed mount. i personally wouldnt let my real one out of my sight.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks to wingcutter for the replacement band :beer: here is a pic of the completed mount done by a good friend and my new taxidermist. What do ya'll think?
Attachments
0112.jpg
0112.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm

aunt betty wrote: So I stuck a couple bands onto my lanyard and promptly lost the calls, lanyard, and the bands as well.
I did the same thing two or three times and decided bands are a curse to me.

That's funny to me because I did the exact same thing twice! I didn't have many bands, but it takes the steam out of your collection to lose the first ones.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Next

Return to Taxidermy Forum