For rivercountry

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

For rivercountry

Postby Yellowdog38 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 am

Here are the pics and diminsions for my homemade flesher. In the second pic I removed the front support board so you can see the light that is connected to the switch. It comes on with the motor. The box measures 30"w. x12"d x 18"h. I still need to epoxy resin the inside to make clean-up easier. That should have been done before I used it, the resin will adhere better to clean wood.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Re: For rivercountry

Postby rivercountry » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks Yellow looks like it would work just fine. Where did you get the motor and whats HP is it. Also I was wondering if using your same basic pinciple how do you think it would work to use a plastic barrell? Just cut the bottom 12 inches out, mont the motor on center, mount a light with plexi glass shield up top, and connect both to the switch as you did. Just a thought then there would be no need to epoxy anything, the plastic should clean fast and easy. I like the switch idea I never thought of wiring them togehter.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 pm

I've seen the drum used before, and I don't even know if you need a clear shield if you do so? I've seen them mounted in a large tupperware tub as well. The rim of the tup tilts the box of course, but a piece of trim board on the bottom edge will ballance everything out, and they make them in clear plastic if that might help your cause? Clean up is going to be very easy with the plastic no matter what route you go with.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Plexi glass tops only help with letting "some" light thru since after the first use gets all goo'd up anyway :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Yellowdog38 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 am

Sorry for the delay, been in the mountains on vacation this week. The motor is made by Dayton, 1/10 hp 1550 rpm. I got it from Grainger along with the coupling to connect the wire wheel.

The plastic barrel will work, have seen a couple done like this through the years. I prefer the wood box design.

As for the clear shield, the top of mine is plywood, I look in from the front, not the top. The shield is there to protect the light.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum