Where to learn?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Where to learn?

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:02 am

Does anybody know where one could learn taxidermy without spending thousands of dollars in Washington state, preferably the NW part of the state? I'm in the Navy and a full time college student as well, so really, hanging out at a shop and exchanging services (janitorial work for some taxidermy education on the weekends) would be about the best I could do.

I'm not looking to put anybody out of business, just looking to expand my hunting hobby.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Where to learn?

Postby eburgsnake » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 pm

PM me, if you have interest in training.

If you need some birds this fall to practice and learn on let me know.

AV

Edited by moderator. There are paying sponsors who offer taxidermy classes, and I prefer to have you use the PM methos rather than giving information publicly on this forum. I hope you understand?

Pete-pec
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Bluz - Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure I can find a video or three on how to skin these birds out for mounting. I will keep the offer in mind and get in touch with you later.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Here is a great step by step video that helped me learn a lot on my own and its free. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Duck-T ... C2645.aspx
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby aboz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:17 am

I believe taxidermy is one thing that is hard to learn from videos and books. It is one of those things that will be 5 times easier if you have someone show you. Look around in your area for a taxidrmist that can show you how to do it first hand. :thumbsup:
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:23 pm

I agree as hands on is best. Kinda like learning surgery from a video. If you can find a taxidermist that may swap you some training for grunt work (Navy Term I think) you would be better off in the long run. You should offer to not compete with him in his area or he might have you sign an agreement not to. I've found that while different taxidermists have a lot of different techniques you will soon develope your own based on what you have been shown and taught. What works well for one doesn't necessairly work well for another. There are some top-notch taxidermists in your area out there and if interested I can give you a name of one that I really admire. New taxidermist want to run before they can walk meaning that they want to throw together a bird and cut corners. I did and am sure many others have also. You're going to be a little bummed with your first mount(s) but practice makes perfect. This is why you do birds that have no sentimental value to you and not grab the best of the best. A lot of my early ones went in the garbage. You will learn that the prep work is more than 50% of the end result, IMO, as you can't make chicken soup out of chicken manure. Take your time and you will be less frustrated and stressed. Great hobby, fun to learn and rewarding also. Good luck.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. The guy that's doing the few birds I'm having done this year has let me hangout at the shop and watch here and there. Not all the time, but not full into detail either.

A few weeks ago I took in an Aleutian to have done and while I was there the guy gave me back a hen Can I had taken him. He told me one of the wings were shot up enough that he could only do the bird a couple different ways, in order to hide the wing, but they were far from what I wanted. I brought that bird home, and for a first attempt he said, I did not do too horribly bad. I kept the legs attached and inverted the wings, with only a few slips on the ulna/radius of the badly broken wing and an inch long tear at the tail. Since he had given me a little bit of direction (basically told me how to do the wings and legs without showing me) I gave him the skin to use for parts (primaries, secondaries, feet).

When I took him the rough skin he gave me some pointers about the tail and said I did pretty well with the head. He was working on my goose and showed me how he did the heads to make the head/neck junction flow better using clay. It's really not anything I can use right now, but I've got it in my memory bank for later utilization.

I know skinning and fleshing are important so I know I will probably spend a majority of the time doing that but as y'all pointed out, there is only so much you can learn by watching. Doing is how I've always learned anyways, but finding a mentor is going to be the tricky part.
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum