First Try at Taxidermy, duck mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

First Try at Taxidermy, duck mount

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:53 am

Alright guys this was my first attempt at mounting anything so im pretty happy with the way it turned out. I would appreciate any future advice on what you think needs improvement or that i could do better. Im also working on a mallard and have it looking pretty good except for the spectrum feathers. They somehow got all split up. I didnt have that problem with the teal and i did the same thing so im not sure what i did wrong. Any advice on how to prevent this or fix them? Any advice on anything would be great. I dont have anybody to teach me so im having to learn on my own
Attachments
First duck mount.jpg
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: First Try at Taxidermy, duck mount

Postby duxrus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:10 am

No bad for a first......

1) Your head/neck/breast juncture needs to be more of a smooth transition. You can easily do so by pulling the skin forward from the breast toward the head.

2) Look at your top wing compared to the bottom one. The top one has a nice shape but the bottom one looks almost straight. A ducks wing usually has a bend in it....think boomarang shape.

3) The tail feathers are too flared. Tone that down just a little the next go around.

4) The wings would also look better if they touched the body....without the gap. Wings angle backward....not forward so that would cause there to basicly be no gap between the wing and body.

5) You can get your wing feathers (primaries and secondaries) to overlap properly by using painters tape. Cut a piece the length you will need (do the primaries with one piece and the secondaries with another) and bend a tab on one end for easy removal. Start away from the body and run the tape underneath the feathers. Take each feather and place it where you want, stick to the tape, and let the bird dry for about 2 weeks before removing the tape. Once it dries the feathers will stay where you put them.

As far as the speculum feathers not laying properly and the barbs seperated.....every so often one will just be like that. I had one just the other day myself. All you can do is wash and rinse as needed. Sometimes feathers are just too damaged to "fix".

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Re: First Try at Taxidermy, duck mount

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond, like i said this was my first try and I dont have anybody to teach me so it has been frustrating to say the least! Wish i had somebody to just go and watch. Im only 19 so i figure if i keep working on it i can do some pretty good work in the distant future. I see what your saying about the neck to body. I actually carved to form out of a block of Styrofoam, ive been carving decoys a while and figured id give it a try. For the neck I used the normal wire with paper towels rapped around it tightly using thread. I think i made the neck to short and thats what caused the problem. After i got done skinning the bird a threw away the body and neck. When making the form and neck i realized it would have been very helpful in making the connection right along with the neck length. Oh well you live and learn. Im thinking about making a fleshing wheel because i think i roughed up the feathers fleshing it with a knife. Just hope they get a little better each try! Just dont know what im gonna do with all the damn things when i get done with them, im hooked on it!
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum