which colour to use

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

which colour to use

Postby reptofan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am

I would like to finish my mounted males of Bufflehead, long-tailed duck and barrows goldeneye and so have to airbrush the feet.
Does anyone have good reference pictures and could you please name the colour that I have to use ?

Thanks a lot from Germany, Rainer.
reptofan
hunter

Re: which colour to use

Postby duxrus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am

Go over to Taxidermy.net and ask on the bird forum. You should get plenty of pics...... :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:57 am

Brian I was sending him a PM the same time you posted. It looks like we were avoiding the question, when in fact we hate to paint! LOL It's hard to exactly say what color you use, depending on how you paint. Many people blend. I suck at blending. I typically mix drops of paint in a separate vial until I get the color I'm pleased with, and it might be wrong, but good enough for me? I have way too many birds in the basement that need their feet painted right now, because I dread that part of the hobby!

Rainer, I sent you a couple leads via PM…..including taxidermy.net for reference pictures in their bird forum.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby reptofan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I have bought the LeMaster Method of Waterfowl Identification and Bills and Feet : An Artisans Handbook of William Veasey, where they define the colours and I have bought a lot of colours that they discribed there but they dont look natural when using to paint the feet.
I have also thousands of reference-pictures and I will try it now that way you tell me to do by testing and mixing and doing a notice of the mixing ratio for the next time to do again.

Rainer
reptofan
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:57 pm

I am a "mixer" like Pete.....then highlight if need be. I bought a few finishing books way back in the beginning but just didn't like the time envolved or the results (for me anyway). I now just have bottles of mallard drake, mallard hen, black duck, diver blue, diver foot, etc.....

For example, on an old sqwall I use a "grey" blend followed by a pink highlight . :thumbsup:

Good luck............and I to HATE airbrushing :hammer: :fingerhead: :hammer:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum