wire/fleshing wheel

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

wire/fleshing wheel

Postby ptlkmg » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:03 pm

can anyone give me some good tips on making a wire/fleshing wheel or point me to a good website that has easy plans
ptlkmg
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Go to www.taxidermy.net and use the orange search button and you'll be able to find some plans. I've heard of some guys just rigging up a cordless drill in a vise and rigging up a splatter shield so you don't "wear" all the duck butter. If you plan on actually persuing birds as a hobby or as a second income, then let me suggest buying one from a reputable taxidemy supply company. You'll probably find that you really won't save a ton of money when you wind up building your own.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:42 am

My friend has a large one that he uses on turkeys that is made from a large ex-grinder. It's mounted to a large wall mounted table and has a plexi shield. Works great!
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:33 pm

I'm with Pete on this one. The right equiptment sure makes the job go easier. Buy yourself a good average cost wire wheel made specifically for birds. All the supply companies carry at least 2 models that are the right speed and size right out of the box. You can internet search under Wasco, Research, Mckenzie, Van Dykes,Authentic and others and check 'em out, compare prices etc. Good luck, degreasing and cleaning are among the most important steps...
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:24 pm

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, I wanted a good wire wheel, but I didn't want to invest the money in a quality wheel to find out that taxidermy wasn't my cup of tea. So I went to the local electrical store and bought a small motor and framed me up a wood box out of laminated particle board and mounted the wheel in it and attached the wheel to the shaft of the motor. I think I spent a total of fifty bucks tops and it works just as well as the high end ones that I was able to borrow from a taxidermist. Just some food for thought.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:19 am

CM, what type of motor did you buy and where did you get it. When I priced motors they were way too expensive. My box is now rigged up with an old electric drill, it takes the fat off good but it's very loud and I'm not sure how long it will last.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:22 pm

Whistler I picked my motor up at a local electrical contractor office. If I remember right it was a bath fan type motor. They had salvaged a few from previous remodel jobs and kept them around for back ups. It seems to do the trick and I think I paid $10 for the motor. I will have to check tonight when I get home to see brand and hp. Try your yellow pages under electrical and ask for used 1/2 hp electrical motors.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 am

Thanks CootMan!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:11 pm

Grinders man, grinders. Work great.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:00 am

What kind of grinder?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:57 pm

Meat grinder! :laughing:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:06 pm

I thought I might get that. :smile:
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:28 pm

:toofunny:

Any single wheel table top METAL grinder. Change out the wheel to a wire wheel. My buddy did it with a large one and uses it on big birds...turkeys and geese. He mounted it on a home built table and made a plexi glass shield for it. Works great.
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum