Oil on feathers

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Oil on feathers

Postby TexasProud12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:38 am

I recently just finished a greenwing teal mount and noticed on the lower back of the duck that there was some oil on the feathers. I have done 5 other ducks in the past and have not had this problem. I removed the fat, used degreaser and washed the feathers like I normally do and it still showed up. If anyone could tell me how to remove it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
TexasProud12
Newb

Re: Oil on feathers

Postby duxrus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Acetone....use Q-tips to apply... then wipe off with a paper towel. See if that helps. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 am

With five or six ducks under your belt, are you using a fleshing wheel? If you are getting oil on your feathers, after you have washed and dried, I would have to assume it came from the skin itself. While you are mounting your bird, running wires, and sewing it up, it's probably laying on it's back, and you are probably pressing oil from the skin, through the skin to it's feathers. Flesh better, and use a soft towel or blanket under your bird when you are mounting, and this should fix the issue on your next bird. I really want to stress the fleshing thing though, because this is ulimately the problem.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:50 am

I would wager it isn't "oil" but rather liquified fat that got on them during your fleshing. Sometimes that goo is a royal pain to get off feathers if you get it on them. Turkeys are the worst. You just have to be more careful about keeping the goo off. I keep paper towels handy as I flesh so if anything comes off...it stays off the bird. :thumbsup:

I now sew skinned turkeys back closed when I flesh them. That is definitely the ticket and saves so much time now not worrying where all the flinging goo is going :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby TexasProud12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:35 am

I've tried using acetone to get the oil/fat off but it didn't work, if anyone as any other tips for getting it out i would greatly appreciate it. I am definitely going to invest in a fleshing wheel before starting my next duck.
TexasProud12
Newb

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:05 pm

One good way to keep the goo of of Turkeys is to pressure wash the fat off. Unlike a duck you can do this to a turkey without tearing it up and not put up with the goo and oil as the water blows it off and doesn't liquify it. Invert the skin over a road hazzard cone, they are quite common along highways :rolleyes: and the taller ones work better. Very little wheeling is required.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:02 pm

TexasProud12 wrote:I've tried using acetone to get the oil/fat off but it didn't work, if anyone as any other tips for getting it out i would greatly appreciate it. I am definitely going to invest in a fleshing wheel before starting my next duck.

If that didn't work then I am not sure what you have on them other than the "goo" already mentioned. That won't come off once dried as far as I know. :no:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum