Fleshing Help!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Fleshing Help!

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:05 am

I just started teaching myself taxidermy about a month ago with some help from youtube, I only have 4 ducks under my belt so I have MUCH to learn. Unfortunately i don't have a mentor to help me when i have questions. I am having trouble fleshing the ducks. I watched a video that said to use scissors to get the fat off so Ive been doing that along with a wire brush. I know a fleshing wheel is the way to go but being only 19 and in college i cant afford one at this time. I have been able to get most off the fat off the ducks but the fat down in the quill areas has been hard cause the scissors will cut the quills when i get close to the skin and the wire brush tends to tear/stretch the skin when i brush hard enough to get the fat off. Are there any other ways to flesh ducks or anything you can soak it in or put on the skin to make the process easier? Any others suggestions?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Fleshing Help!

Postby duxrus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:46 am

I wish there was an "easy" way.....but without a fleshing wheel I just don't see proper fleshing possible. The wheel gets between all those quills. The good news is you can search around and fine plans to make your own for under 100$. All you need is a motor and switch, brush attachment with brush, and a wood box or barrel. Now I was lazy and just bought one but have seen plenty homemade ones that would definitely get the job done. Out of all the tools you could do without to mount a bird a fleshing wheel wouldn't be on that list....IMO.
duxrus
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Look under the thread below (For Rivercountry) By yellowdog it is a fleshing box that he built. I also just finished my fleshing wheel and tumbler. As soon as I can find a decent brush for mine I will post pictures the first brush I bought was out of round and wouldnt work. Anyway check out Yellowdogs post it will give you some ideas.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:33 pm

I use a very stiff brish that I buy from Ace Hardware. I've tried the Soft-Touch brushes but burn more holes in birds with them and have more problems with them that stiffer ones. One of the best taxidermists I know in the business uses a brush that will take the hide off a buffalo. Keep in mind I've fleshed thousands of birds on the wheel and have developed a feel for a stiff brush. What works for me might not work for you. It takes practice. One thing that helps with any brush is to temper them. I put mine on a heavy, high speed bench grinder and get the wires bent by grinding on a 2x4 to get all the wires going the same way. Just make sure you put it on the flesher in the same direction that your tempered it. Once you start using a wheel you will never want to scissor one again, IMO. But, there are some very good taxidermists that don't wheel their birds and do use scissors. However, I would love to see them do that with a Swan or Big Canada!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 am

Waterfowler what size brush did you buy? I bought mine at lowes and it was piece but I guess I got what I paid for.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Will get the number from it when i go to the shop tomorrow. Tempering it is a must to get wires bent some.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum