Update on my progress!! New Mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Update on my progress!! New Mount

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 am

I posted my first duck mount which was the gw teal. I took the advice yall gave me and i think i made much improvement. I know this one isnt perfect either but i think it is a lot better. This is my newest duck mount, it is still drying out but here it is. Dont hold back tell me what yall honestly think about it! Any pointers on things that need to be improved? The mallard is my newest mount, the teal which was my first that i already posted just wanted to put it on here so yall could compare. I just want yalls opinion of the mallard though :thumbsup: Also i didnt put eyes in the mallard cause i want to save money while im practicing
Attachments
teal mount 1.jpg
mallard mount 2.jpg
mallard mount 1.jpg
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Update on my progress!! New Mount

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I won't be able to give any pointers as a taxidermist but I will comment on something that I've dealt with. Your mallard, to me anyway, looks pretty darn good! I think if this is your second mount, we all have a lot to look forward to. I wanted to comment on how you did the back of the duck. I took my only banded duck in to a "professional" and he butchered the thing. To this day, tha back of it loses feathers at a slight breeze. It's something that really upsets me. But the back of your mallard looks natural. Great job!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Junior, I appreciate your post. Refreshing to hear someone give some positive feedback. Kudos to you.

I agree, this being your second duck, very nice job. Teal and mallards are no easy task. They are damn thin skinned, and mallards can be anatomical nightmares. I think your feedback has done you wonders! I look forward to seeing more of what you do. Most importantly, I can see you're proud of your improvements. This will keep you in the game, and make you strive to improve. As long as you never become completely satisfied, your work will always get better. You can never have enough photos and action shots in your inventory. Search the web, and collect the pictures that are free from the taking. Study them, and try to mimic live photos as closely as possible.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info! Ive become obsessed with taxidermy, i disappear into the garage for hours and lose track of time. Im the kind of person that can never be satisfied! My dad keeps getting on me for being to critical of my work since i just started and he is right but when i do something i always want it to be perfect but that obviously isnt gonna happen anytime soon but im working hard to get there!
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum