Cheap Molds

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Cheap Molds

Postby Remingtonshooter4897 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Wheres the best place out there to get a couple cheap molds?
Remingtonshooter4897
hunter

Re: Cheap Molds

Postby duxrus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Molds for what ???
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:41 am

I was just downstairs in the refrigerator. Saw a couple cucumbers with mold on them. Not sure what type of molds, but they are free, you pay shipping!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 am

If he means cheap head molds I don't know of any being sold. You have to make your own. Body molds are the same thing. Make them yourself. No supply company is going to sell molds of any kind for bodies/heads they make and sell. Most likely all molds taxidermists have are cast from other suppliers' originals. If the mother mold was from a copyrighted head or body it is illegal to do. At least that is what I've been told :rolleyes:
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Ive thought about trying to make some molds, anybody know how to do it the cheapest way?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 pm

The cheapest ways don't last very long. I've got some head molds that have close to 100 pulls made without losing much detail, nothing that a little sandpaper won't fix. There are a lot of products on the market and you need to see what your budget will stand and make the best possible. You get what you pay for. Most good molds need to have vacuums pulled on them to make a very smooth mold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Centralflyway » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Cheap is in the opinion of the person making the mold. I do it this way......I take a duck body and cut it in half length-wise with a band saw. I lay one half of the body - frozen - on a rectangular piece of plexiglass big enough to hold the body and have about a 2" shelf all the way around. I make a plaster mold - doing both halves. I use old cheap eyes for the line up bubbles - this lines the mold up every time without having to keep adjusting it. Once both mold sides are made - I make a 3 pound foam body. Always drill relief holes in your molds, this way it will not explode on you when you over fill it. I take the new body out and sand it to the specs I want. The plaster mold will only make 1-3 before it craps out on you. I again split the body into two halves with a bad saw. Place each half onto a rectangular piece of plexiglass - usually the same ones from the plaster mold. This time I use fiberglass resign and apply a initial coat of about 1/8" to 1/4" WITHOUT and fiber added. This makes the area next to the foam smooth. This takes about 4-7 coats and in each coat after the first one, I add the fiber cut up into small strands and pieces. DO NOT use bondo - it will explode on you at some point. The resign cast mold will last forever. Be sure to drill two relief holes in the top of the mold. I also make the bottom half on the mold squared off so it will sit level while going off. I use "C" clamps - 4 of them - to hold it while going off. No worries if it oozes out of the holes, just cut it off. I think most duck bodies sell for $6-$10 and I can make one for about .25 worth of foam. You can do the same thing with heads. Just use the real head - bondo it back into shape and cast it. I use liquid rubber molding material for heads. I do not do too many heads - it is just easier to buy them, the rubber molding material is expensive and they only last a dozen or so heads before they start breaking down. Hope this helps.
Centralflyway
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Depends on which two part material you use to make head molds, as I said I've got some that have had close to 100 pulls.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 am

What kind of foam do you use? And what do you use for the heads?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Centralflyway » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 am

I would love to know the materials and process for getting 100 pulls from head molds. Also, I forgot to mention to be sure to use a relief agent when making both the molds and the bodies. I use Johnson paste wax.
Centralflyway
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 pm

I use Smooth-Cast to pour my heads. Onyx for black bills and either white or almond for everything else. The mold material comes from Synair that I have been using and we pull a heavy vacuum on it when pouring a mold, but I am hearing good things about Stretch-Flex that is a two part mix that doesn't need a vacuum pulled on it like the Synair. Have also heard Dragon Skin does well.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum