USDA Import Permit Questions

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

USDA Import Permit Questions

Postby Centralflyway » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Ok well I know in order to bring birds into the US you must have them go to a USDA approved facility. I'm looking for a taxidermist that actually has a permit and brings his/her own birds back into the US.

I have a few questions:

First: What exactly is the permit called or the number to look up? I know the permit is expensive.

Second: Can you bring birds in and take them to your own studio or do they have to go to another taxidermist?

Finally: How do you find out exactly WHERE to enter the US so your birds do not sit out and rot while you are waiting on a government that could care less?

Many Thanks to anyone who knows this stuff.
Centralflyway
hunter

Re: USDA Import Permit Questions

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am

Central, I replied to you on this on the International Forum. But will again reiterate. Don't know if you read my answer on Int. Forum or not. I've received a lot of birds through a lot of POE's and seems no two are the same.

Yes, the permit is expensive and must be maintained with inspections yearly plus the paperwork. There is a list of USDA approved facilities that the USDA maintains and each Port of Entry, POE, has this list both in hard copy and computer. You can contact the USDA and find approved facilities in your area. My last inspection cost me $615 dollars as the rates have gone up and if birds are brought in using my permit I expect them within a reasonable time or I start tracking them and notify the USDA and USF&W that they haven't been received.

If you bring birds into the country you have to go through the approved taxidermist/facility that holds the permit. Some POE's will allow you to bring the birds on through with the paper trail established through the 3-177 form you must have to bring them in and the 16-78 form they fill out and distrubute to all involved. This is a must to do correctly and with expediency as a reasonable time to get them to the facility is short before the paperwork for the final destination is to be completed. Birds coming in from HOT countries have to be de-toxed per USDA guidelines. You CANNOT bring in birds through an approved facility and then take them to another establishment or keep them at your home. They have to go where the permit is for disposition/treating/mounting or returning the treated skins to you if desired. Failure to follow the set guidelines can result in seizure and/or fines. It's treated as seriously as smuggling any contraban into the country.

Simple thing is to have all this set up before you leave and if you come through a POE like Miami where they require an Expediter you need to have them set up to meet you upon arrival so your birds can be gotten into a freezer. Ask Duxrus about this nightmare he experienced recently. Once you know your POE you can call Customs there and ask their procedure all all are different. I stay away from Atlanta, Miami and New York and prefer Dallas, Houston, Denver and Phoenix. Never had any experience with Chicago.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:57 am

Simple thing is to have all this set up before you leave and if you come through a POE like Miami where they require an Expediter you need to have them set up to meet you upon arrival so your birds can be gotten into a freezer. Ask Duxrus about this nightmare he experienced recently. Once you know your POE you can call Customs there and ask their procedure all all are different. I stay away from Atlanta, Miami and New York and prefer Dallas, Houston, Denver and Phoenix. Never had any experience with Chicago.

I just had a client a month or so ago take a trip to South America and even with a broker his birds took 15 DAYSto finally make it to my shop. :eek: To my knowledge the only freezer they were put in (the cooler) was the airline freezer.....NOT USFW or USDA so no telling how long they thawed, were refrozen, thawed, refrozen...etc during those two weeks. It cost my client close to 2,000.00 in shipping and brokerage fees to have a cooler of ROTTED GOO hit my doorstep. I used every trick of the trade I knew to save them but the skin and feathers just fell right off to your touch. I hardly have any sense of smell and I could easily smell them...not good. :fingerhead:

I would suggest just buying pen raised birds here in the states of the species you wanted to bring back. Alot of them can be purchased for 100-200$ and in perfect condition where as I have NEVER seen a fully plumed out S.A. bird that wasn't covered in pin feathers. I understand having to bring back something like a Torrent Duck but Rosey Bills, Cinny teal, Chiloe wigeon, etc...can be bought without the stress, hassle, and MONEY it would cost to "hopefully" get them back.
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 am

I've raised a lot of Southern Hemisphere ducks here and while you can get good wings and tails by carefully waiting they will always have some pin-feathers as they don't go through an eclipse plummage. Brazilian Ducks are by far the worst. Problem with people hunting in areas like Argentina/Uruguay, etc. is they don't pick through the birds and know what to look for or not care, i.e. breaks in wings, missing feathers in wings, tails, heavy pins in scaps and at nape of neck. when going through the piles of birds you kill there it takes a little time and those that just grab one and say I'll mount this one doesn't do his homework.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Centralflyway » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:13 am

Sorry guys I missed both the other post and the PM. Really the only birds I cannot buy are Torrent ducks and andean geese. Not really sure about the geese, but I get your drift about just buying birds. Sounds like I can save myself a lot of headaches by doing that, but the torrent ducks are very hard to come by. I think I'll just stay home and buy some birds for the expense of going through all that. Antone got any extra birds to gift? Just a thought. Thank you all very much for your time.
Centralflyway
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 am

Though I seriously doubt I will ever be able to go out of country for a hunt, insert poor government lackey here, I found this thread pretty informative. Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm

I see Andean Geese from time to time in the Game Breeders Gazette. All the S.A. geese are feathered like chickens IMO with some serious lack of down and very rough looking feathers. Magellans and Ashy-heads are the worst. Haven't done any Orinocos but the last Andeans I got in were garbage. You might want to check with breeders for birds but a lot of them don't sell aged birds, just young of the year unless you pay more and telling them yopu want them for taxidermy doesn't sit well with some. If I get a client that just has to have something and wants to buy a legal bird from a breeder I don't have, I offer to find a live one and raise it to at least a two year old so it can be put down in prime time. Again Southern Hemisphere birds are always a tough call as to when to put them down. I've got White-faced Whistling Ducks that are georgeous superfically now but might be better in the winter, tough call unless I catch them up and really go over them. Buying and selling wild shot birds protected under the MBTA is a serious offense which is why any indigenous and even vagrant species portected under the MBTA is prohibited unless the paperwork shows they are pen-raised and marked in one of several standard ways to show that they were from a breeder. However a lot of S.A. birds are legal to sell even if wild shot as they don't come under MBTA protection. Reading the laws on migratory birds can be like reading Japanese stereo instructions and can give you a headache at times.

I will repost this news clipping that I posted for Central Flyway on another thread. Shows what can happen.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/news/release.cfm?rid=8

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Orinco geese are some of what he lost......the only replacements I could find were over 1,000.00 a bird :eek: :eek: :eek: They will call me if one happens to die naturally but said the price would only drop to about 400-500 with no guarantee on condition. :fingerhead:

I have never seen torrent ducks forsale but would guess with the rariety would cost some SERIOUS $$$. If I am correct the limit down there is only ONE bird a year making them even harder to get quality with zero margin of error once the trigger is pulled.

If I was younger i would seriously be thinking about raising only S.A. waterfowl strictly for taxidermy. There has to be a growing market for them with all the increasing red tape to get birds back.
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum