No more birds allowed from MX

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

No more birds allowed from MX

Postby glass eye » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 am

Got a call from the USDA informing me that NO BIRDS from Mexico will be allowed entry into the US.
Bird flu is the reason.
Don't book any hunts if you were planning on bringing back trophies.
glass eye
hunter

Re: No more birds allowed from MX

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:28 am

Interesting, how do they plan and how absurb is it when they fly back and forth accross is that. My USDA agent that inspects my permit hasn't informed me of anything. You have a contact I can talk to?
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby glass eye » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:35 am

My agent called me yesterday. She asked me to spread the word to hunters. Bird flu was found in birds from Jalisco so they're taking no chances and nothing comes across unless it's mounted in MX.
glass eye
hunter

Postby glass eye » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 am

glass eye
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 am

Well, just off the phone with the USDA Hq. The problem is real evidentally. Ducks are visiting chickens down there and in the grand scheme of things the shotgun treatment effect is in place. They USDA is telling me that birds have to be treated and documented with the treatment down in Mexico before they can be brought in. This would entail a Vet to sign off on this and will at best be difficult. I am awaiting further info , but the head guy is off today so I will not get more info till next week. The HIPATH,Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza is the culprit. Won't know more till next week but it's a mess for sure. Thanks for the heads up. They did asy the millions of shorebirds, waterfowl, songbirds and seabirds are exempt from treatment as they fly back and forth!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Recently, Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) was confirmed in Mexico. In response, the USDA placed restrictions on the importation of avian (bird and poultry) products from Mexico. The restrictions require that upon importation, avian products be accompanied by a Veterinary Services (VS) issued import permit and the product be mitigated for HPAI prior to importation. These restrictions also apply to bird trophies. Bird trophies from Mexico now require processing to inactivate the HPAI virus and be accompanied by a VS import permit. Consignment to a USDA approved establishment is not an option for regions recognized by the USDA for HPAI. However, please be advised that fully taxidermy finished (mounted) bird trophies continue to have unrestricted entry.

For people traveling to the United States from Mexico who wish further clarification on what avian products can be allowed in passenger baggage, please contact the National Center for Imports and Exports at 301-851-3300, press the number five and ask to speak with a staff import veterinary officer.

You can also email your questions to “askNCIEProducts@aphis.usda.gov”

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:54 pm

KInd of off topic here, but are you allowed to transport trophies in your luggage throughout the US? I put a frozen duck in my suitcase a few years ago from Nebraska and it made it through, I just didn't know if it was legal?
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Birds within the U.S. can be transported. Keep in mind that you can violate Lacey Act laws by not having legally taken the birds with license requirements birds and if you are carrying migratory birds from one state to another in checked baggage or via common carrier the contents are supposed to written on the outside of the container, i.e. species and number of birds to be perfectly legal.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 pm

I carry them in a carry on all the time. I did the suitcase deal ONCE....until they lost my bag with my double banded harli AND Euro wigeon in it. Luckily it showed up the next morning and the ducks were still fine. After that I now keep them within arm's length so they can't go missing. I do have each one properly labeled. Get ready for some weird looks as your bag goes thru the scanner :yes: I have been asked "why are there skeletons in your bag" more than once :grooving: "For taxidermy" will just get you a response of "YUCK, have a nice flight" :lol3:
duxrus
hunter

Postby glass eye » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Duxrus
I understand the worries of lost baggage but they'll stay frozen longer in the belly of the plane at 35,000ft
glass eye
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 am

glass eye wrote:Duxrus
I understand the worries of lost baggage but they'll stay frozen longer in the belly of the plane at 35,000ft

I double zip lock them before wrapping them up in newspaper. They will stay solid for a good 12 hours in a carry on topside. You would be amazed at how long they stay frozen with about 5 sheets of newpaper wrapped around each one.....now it does look like I am smuggling kilos :lol3: We do this every year from WA and have never had an issue with thawing and that is an all day trip.

....but I do agree they would probably freeze even more sitting in your luggage. I just have "lost" more than one bag over the years :tongue:
duxrus
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:07 am

Good to know.. I'll feel much better about bringing birds back now.. Thanks for the info... For the record, I did have the species, sex, license number, and date of harvest written on a piece of paper within my soft cooler of ice that the duck was in... :thumbsup:
ByersFarm wrote:

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 am

teddysberna wrote:Good to know.. I'll feel much better about bringing birds back now.. Thanks for the info... For the record, I did have the species, sex, license number, and date of harvest written on a piece of paper within my soft cooler of ice that the duck was in... :thumbsup:

Needs to be tagged on the outside also per 50CFR20.44 just to be completely legal. I had first hand experience with this coming back from Alaska in the early 90's and having all my T's crossed and I's dotted saved a problem from occurring.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:14 pm

I just always keep index cards handy and tape each's info on the outside of the "package"......then tape a full list around the outside handle of my bag. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 am

Again, thank you for the info...
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby canvas6 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 pm

why dose it matter the birds can fly to the usa anyway ?
hold my beer and watch this sh%T
canvas6
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Job security for those making the rules! Haven't you heard, all migratory birds returning from Mexico must stop and get vaccinated, just like all the illegal aliens that stop and register to vote!! :wink:

Golden Rule principle here, he who has the gold makes the rules and in this case the USDA has the gold. Can they stop HPAI from getting into the U.S. ?, probably not, but they can and do control the importation. One of our outfitters is getting the VS lined up and my USDA Agent said it might be pulled sometime if the get all the chickens vaccinated, but we aren't waiting as we are doing what we can to follow the new guidelines and will continue to work to get client's birds into the U.S.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 am

Latest update I received from the USDA.

On July 30, we sent an Alert regarding Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in Mexico. This is an update regarding USDA restrictions placed on the imported avian (bird and poultry) products and by-products from Mexico.

Upon importation, avian products and by-products must be accompanied by a Veterinary Services (VS) issued import permit and the product be mitigated for HPAI prior to importation. These restrictions also apply to bird trophies. Unprocessed bird trophies may be consigned to a USDA-approved establishment for processing (mounting) if accompanied by a VS import permit. However, fully taxidermy finished (mounted) bird trophies continue to have unrestricted entry.

Unprocessed hunter-harvested game bird meat for human consumption is prohibited. Processed hunter-harvested game bird meat for human consumption weighing 50 pounds or more may be imported if accompanied by a certificate certifying that it has been thoroughly cooked reaching a minimum internal temperature of 74 degrees C (165 degrees F). Certification of cooking temperature is not required if the meat has a thoroughly cooked appearance, is for personal consumption, and weighs less than 50 pounds.

For those travelers from Mexico to the United States who need clarification on what avian products and by-products are allowed in passenger baggage, contact the National Center for Imports and Exports at 301-851-3300, press the number 5, and speak with a staff import veterinary officer. You may also email your questions to askNCIEProducts@aphis.usda.gov.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum