Another attempt at taxidermy

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Another attempt at taxidermy

Postby RedTx » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:49 pm

Well over the July fourth holiday I thought I would try another attemp at taxidermy. This is the only second standing mount I have done, and fouth over all. I feel like my work isnt progressing like I want. If yall could critique it some, and tell me the areas I need to work on I sure would appreciate. Heck any information that would make me better would be much appreciatied.

Do you believe in the MEAN GREEN
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:40 pm

the thing that doesnt look quite right to me is that the neck looks kinda funny... but other than that everything seems to look pretty ok for a second mount
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby MexicanDuck » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:09 am

Not too bad! You could make some improvements on the head and neck area. With a tooth brush, lightly smooth out the feathers so they don't look so rough, then take a small artists paint brush, dip it in water and lightly brush the feathers back until they look smooth.
MexicanDuck
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:48 am

Here's some pointers. It looks as if you may have had a bit of tearing?, because it seems as if the scapular feathers are a bit too far back towards the tail. When a duck is in it's relaxed pose (sitting), it's wings are sitting under a layer of feathers also known as the wing pocket. If you can master this folding process of where the wings actually sit, then the bird really comes together alot better. Some people will cut a relief cut in this pocket, or a relief in the form itself, but it's not needed. You really don't even need to wire this area, or even pin it if you wrap the completed duck with plastic wrap. I like the fact that you put an "S" shape curve in your ducks neck, because they all have that bend in their neck, you just went a bit longer than needed. Next time save the neck and head (if you go with an artificial head), and use it's length as a reference when you actually are mounting your bird. If you pushed down on the head and sort of flattened out the neck against the "shoulders" of the duck, it would look a bit better. I know it's your second sitting bird, and they're a bit harder to make look anatomical than a flying bird, so for that, you're on your way. I said in the past, that I have replaced quite a few of my "first" mounts as i improved. Did you use any photographs as a reference guide to help aid you while you were taxiing? They are invaluable! So have them there the next time. I think the breast and feet look great, and everyone gets better each time!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Yellowdog38 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Next time you skin a duck, take the carcass look where the neck joins the body. It is actually further in than most forms are made. I measure the neck where it actually joins at this point and cut the form to match. If you are using pre-made necks I would suggest wrapping your own. Each bird is an individual, neck lenghts will vary slightly among species. When I got into taxidermy I heard the phrase "study your reference" till I was sick of hearing it, but when I started looking really close at my pictures, studying the feather tracks in different poses, the neck angles, and how the skin shifted as the bird moved my work improved fast. There is a wealth of knowledge you can gain from studying the carcass also. Keep at it and try to learn something from each mount, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum