Fleshing wheel and tumbler

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Fleshing wheel and tumbler

Postby rivercountry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Here is my new fleshing wheel and tumbler that I just completed. The fleshing wheel is a clear 30 gallon barrel turned on its side with a large opening cut in the side. I left the curvature in the bottom to catch any liquid and to make clean up easy. It has a 1/8 hp 1350 RPM clockwise rotating motor and it works well. The tumbler is of course a dryer that I totally gutted and seal the back off to prevent loosing cob dust. I think the RPM's are too high at 35-38 RPM's what do you guys think will it work ok. I have about $50.00 bucks in both because we had most of the parts lying around at the farm shop. I had to buy the wire wheel, have the shaft machined out, and a few electrical parts for both. Just thought I would share what I came up with, let me what yall think and thanks to everyone on DHC who help. I know the fleshing wheel is not exactly like what some of the guys suggested I just took a little bit from everyone and came up with the design. ImageImageImageImageImage
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Re: Fleshing wheel and tumbler

Postby duxrus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 pm

You will like the "SPACE" by using a drum...especially on larger birds. I will definitely be having my next one built larger like that. On the dryer just make sure the heat element is disconnected or you will have a funny smoked duck smell :lol3: I fiberglassed any and all small openings inside the old dryer I converted to a tumbler. As far as RPM's you should be fine as long as you keep the corn cob grit plentiful to protect from any unwanted damage. :thumbsup:

GOOD WORK :clapping:
duxrus
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Duxrus
The only thing left in that dryer is the motor and drum I gutted everything eles out.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Dirty Doug » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:15 pm

The drum is a great idea....as dux said you will like the extra space and should not get the bird hung up on the wheel! Good job
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Ok Used my tumbler for the first time tonight it did good except for I am losing cob grit out of the front of the dryer. I was affriad this was going to happen. Any ideas on how to fix it the only thing I can think of is a second door on the inside.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Might use weather stripping around the seal of the dryer. Can't tell from the picture on the flesher about how long the shaft is. I extended mine to give me more room behind the wheel for bigger birds.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 am

Pat I gave myself 6 inches off the back of the drum to the back edge of the wheel. The fleshing wheel worked great although it will take a little getting used to, figuring out all those hard to get to areas of fat without tearing up the skin. I have skinned out several practice birds that I had held over to work with my pup that I lost over the winter. I fleshed out a ringneck last night and basically with through the entire process right up to mounting the bird just to get used to the process and check how the equipment was going to work. I will do this a couple more times before I actually mount the wigeon for the wall. I will try the weather stripping idea that might just work. I sealed the back up tight but wasn’t sure exactly what to do when it came to the front since the drum actually turns on the lip of the front but, the right size weather stripping might work and at least minimize the loss of material.
Thanks for the help any other suggestions are more than welcome guys.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 am

Good, 6 inches from back should be fine. You'll get more confident in the usage of it the more birds you do, I'm sure you will experiment with different type wheels also. I use a very stiff one but that thaks some getting used to. You're off in the right direction.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum