I need a unique pheasant mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

I need a unique pheasant mount

Postby T Man » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 am

I was talking to my taxi today about mounting a pheasant for me this fall. I would like to do one that looks like the bird just got spooked off the ground and is taking flight. There will be a base, and also a fence rail behind it with barbed wire to mount the bird to. Anyone got anything?

Something like this for body posture

And this for the base

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: I need a unique pheasant mount

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Really? 110 views and no one has seen or has a picture of a pheasant leaping off the ground?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 pm

I got nothing.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:01 pm

How about a picture of your new dog? We have all seen pheasants, I am ready for a dog pic.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:07 pm

TomKat wrote:How about a picture of your new dog? We have all seen pheasants, I am ready for a dog pic.

x2..lets see Jager working or in some training.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:26 pm

a friend of mine has a nice phesant mount bascially exactley like your explaing. but it sit on the ground not the wall. the base is approx 4'x3' sitting about 12" off the ground, its made of barn board. theres dirt on the ground with some dead tall grass and a 4.5' old fence post coming out of it with barbed wire wrapped around it. the bird was not mounted on the barbed wire it is mounted about 24" off the baseon a thin solid rod coming out of the base, the rod is wrapped in grass matchin the grass coming out if the base so your cant even see it. it looks awesome
quack wackr
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Go to Taxidermy.net and look under the Bird Forum.........you want the Bird of The Week #11 :Sept. 3 Post

Someone just posted a great flushing pheasant with habitat. Please take no offense to your taxidermist if they mounted the birds you posted but i would find someone who specializes in birds to do your scenerio.
duxrus
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 am

duxrus wrote:Go to Taxidermy.net and look under the Bird Forum.........you want the Bird of The Week #11 :Sept. 3 Post

Someone just posted a great flushing pheasant with habitat. Please take no offense to your taxidermist if they mounted the birds you posted but i would find someone who specializes in birds to do your scenerio.

Thanks for the tip. I found those pictures online while I was trying to get some ideas. The top pheasant looks awful to me, more gremlans than uplands.

*Edit

Just looked. After doing some digging and getting waaayyyy too many ideas I found the bird, and that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

How/where would I go about getting a hen pheasant that could go into the mount? Farm raised probably? (Illegal to take hens here in KS)

I also thought about possibly putting an old rusted up WIHA sign on the fence post. Might be the finishing touch.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum