Bringing in a bird

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Bringing in a bird

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey all,
Just wanted to know what is best way to bring a bird in to get stuffed. Most likely they will be completely frozen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Re: Bringing in a bird

Postby Dirty Doug » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:29 am

I would call the taxidermist you are going to use with that question.......they feel better knowing you did it their way. :thumbsup: However.....If I cant skin mine right away I will wrap the feet in soaking wet rags and double wrap the bird in plastic trash bags WHILE trying to keep from molesting the feathers at all. From the time you sit in the blind knowing it is a mounter protect the bird at all cost!! Dont carry by the neck.....don't let the dog retrieve it 5 or 6 times etc. :lol3:
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:10 am

I heard its best to put them in a nylon stocking to prevent messing with the feathers, is this true?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 am

Nylon stockings can shred the feather tips. I hate that suggestion was ever made and all too often people do that and wrap them in nothing else leading to freezer burning. Simply lay the head back or tuck it under the wing but it in several plastic bread bags, ice bags or plastic newspaper bags and freeze it. Don't worry about blood and get it to your taxidermist ASAP and he will take care of it. Don't wrap in newspaper as that wicks away the moisture from the bird and drys them out quicker. Also don't put directly into a plastic bag in the field until they have cooled off as it can cause them to sweat inside the bag and possibly slip feathers.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 am

The Waterfowler wrote:Nylon stockings can shred the feather tips. I hate that suggestion was ever made and all too often people do that and wrap them in nothing else leading to freezer burning. Simply lay the head back or tuck it under the wing but it in several plastic bread bags, ice bags or plastic newspaper bags and freeze it. Don't worry about blood and get it to your taxidermist ASAP and he will take care of it. Don't wrap in newspaper as that wicks away the moisture from the bird and drys them out quicker. Also don't put directly into a plastic bag in the field until they have cooled off as it can cause them to sweat inside the bag and possibly slip feathers.

X2......Stockings are what women wear, not what ducks should be stored in :tongue:
duxrus
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

The Waterfowler wrote:Nylon stockings can shred the feather tips. I hate that suggestion was ever made and all too often people do that and wrap them in nothing else leading to freezer burning. Simply lay the head back or tuck it under the wing but it in several plastic bread bags, ice bags or plastic newspaper bags and freeze it. Don't worry about blood and get it to your taxidermist ASAP and he will take care of it. Don't wrap in newspaper as that wicks away the moisture from the bird and drys them out quicker. Also don't put directly into a plastic bag in the field until they have cooled off as it can cause them to sweat inside the bag and possibly slip feathers.

That's exactly what I have always been taught. Plastic bags and the taxidermist take care of it. I've had 3 birds sittin at the taxi's shop for 8.5 months now. I have always wondered if they sit in a freezer and get freezer burnt anyway. :huh:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:35 am

Depends on the taxidermist. Most of us skin quickly and freeze wet unless we have a short backlog.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Dirty Doug » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:05 am

Hey Junior.....look at the top of this page....there is a whole post pinned on this subject!! :beer:
Dirty Doug
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum