Questions???

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Questions???

Postby RedTx » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:09 pm

Guys I skinned out a mallrad drake a couple days back. Here is my problem wife got in freezer, and got out some steaks. She took out the mallard and for got to put it back in.

It vas vaccumed sealed and was out for like 4-5 hours in about 95-100 degree weather. Is it toast??

Second question is I skin my birds out in the garage. I do this for fun more than anything else so I dont have a shop. In my garage it is around anywhere from 90-100 degrees. Is this bad for the birds? I skin them, demeat the wings and legs and then vaccum seal them.

thanks
Red
Do you believe in the MEAN GREEN
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby Yellowdog38 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:39 pm

I think the mallard is fine, but when you thawed the bird next time you should finish it just to be safe. As far as working in your garage, that is not a problem. Here in eastern NC it gets fairly hot and humid in the summer months and I had the same set-up as you when I got into taxidermy. Glad to see you are still at it. Good luck :thumbsup:
Yellowdog38
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:03 am

Agree. If you pull it out, and the feathers seem to be pulling away from the skin fairly easy, then you have some slipping, and that would probably be the end of the bird. I think you;ll be safe on this one.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:26 pm

:withstupid:
Mallards are the worse for that anyway. Tough bird, but the skin is like paper once they are wire wheeled and washed.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum