finally finished my GWT!!!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

finally finished my GWT!!!

Postby AnasAmericana » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm

first duck mount myself. any tips? pointers?
Attachments
2012-08-27 13.37.52-1.jpg
2012-08-26 18.39.58.jpg
" A Duck would never win a Duck calling competition"
AnasAmericana
hunter

Re: finally finished my GWT!!!

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 am

from the pics, it dosent look bad at all. Ive seen alot worse. Good job.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby AnasAmericana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am

thanks! i think the the actual mount that the bird was on took more thought haha
AnasAmericana
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 pm

That looks alot better than my first....With a few "tweaks" it would look even better.

The wings look like you pulled them away from the body too much. On fast flying ducks like teal, by keeping them "tighter" it gives them the natural "hauling butt" look. On the secondaries you can either card them or tape them to get a nice smooooooth appearance without the spaces between feathers. Your feet don't seem to be injected (Masters Blend) to keep them PLUMP. Other than that the neck skin just needed to be pulled forward toward the head for a better junction. Yes, teal have slender necks but if you look at most reference they tend to tuck them just enough to give a thicker appearance in flight. The latest DU mag has a few flock pic's of them to see what I am talking about.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

P.S. Your base looks like you just went out to the yard and cut down a tree :tongue:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 pm

If you are using artificial heads, use potters clay where the neck wire goes into the foam head to create a smooth head/next junction. That's really the only tip I've gotten from a friend of mine that does birds.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby AnasAmericana » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

duxrus wrote:That looks alot better than my first....With a few "tweaks" it would look even better.

The wings look like you pulled them away from the body too much. On fast flying ducks like teal, by keeping them "tighter" it gives them the natural "hauling butt" look. On the secondaries you can either card them or tape them to get a nice smooooooth appearance without the spaces between feathers. Your feet don't seem to be injected (Masters Blend) to keep them PLUMP. Other than that the neck skin just needed to be pulled forward toward the head for a better junction. Yes, teal have slender necks but if you look at most reference they tend to tuck them just enough to give a thicker appearance in flight. The latest DU mag has a few flock pic's of them to see what I am talking about.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

P.S. Your base looks like you just went out to the yard and cut down a tree :tongue:

thanks for the advice! and im from oregon originally and have no problem cutting a tree down haha ( is getting in the way anyhow)
AnasAmericana
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum