wiring wings ?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

wiring wings ?

Postby quack wackr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:54 am

hey guy i know im new to the site but i am an avid waterfowler just like you guys . antways, i was taught by a frind of mine how to mount myy birds. i am just wondering how you guys wire your wings ? do you put the wire the the actual bone of the wing or do you run it between the wing bone and the skin ? he showed me how to do it both ways i just have a hard time getting the wire through the knuckle of the wing bone . just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make that easier ? any suggestions will help thanks alot !
quack wackr
hunter

Re: wiring wings ?

Postby duxrus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Knuckle of the wing bone..... :huh:

I assume you are talking about the "elbow". If so you will play hell trying to work a wire through that joint. I run my wing wires out the bottom side just before that joint. Once dry just clip it off. I do inject caulk in my wings and that will both strengthen the wing/body junction along with filling the void that you would have without it. If you don't caulk them and clip the wire then you will 9 times out of 10 have a visible hole there. The caulk will hold the skin tight.

I have read about doing interior wiring and drilling holes etc to do so but haven't seen a need to do so.

Brian
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 am

The one advantage of wiring directly to the wing the bone, is it adds rigidity, allowing you to move the wing and wire in any position, and keep it there. I do not run a wire out of the wing, nor do I drill any holes. I simply tape the wire in place using electric tape in three different places. One at the wrist where the primaries are, and another before and after the elbow. I also inject the wings without filling them with any tow or batting, instead I use a very heavy gauge syringe, and inject clay based wallpaper paste. The advantage of running a wire through the skin is you can push the wing in and out and give the loft or flight in any look you're going for with ease. I find carding more difficult though, because the wing seems floppy to me up until it's dried, although you can use the excess wire to support the feathers. My wiring allows me to only card the trailing edges of the feathers giving them loft.

Wiring a standing bird can be done, but is not always needed.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quack wackr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 pm

i basically always run a wire between the skin past both joints in the wing no matter what type of mount im doing. like you said it makes it very easy to posistion the wings anyway you want, as for the "floppy" feathers, i usually just hold the feathers up using paitners mate tape going from the tip of the wing onto the back of the bird, until the skin dries then they stay in place. i was not taught to use and kind of cardboard of anthing like that like i see guys using to keep wings flat i was taught to do everything using tape, is there an advntage to "carding"over using tape ?. i think my birds look pretty good the way i do them im like to post up somepicturees for you guys to see but im having trouble with that. another question us how far do you guys pull the wing inside out ?
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:07 pm

I use both cereal box cardboard, and painters tape. So carding for me is everything I use to support and keep the feathers in place. I turn a wing in seconds, and invert it completely to the wrist of the bird. You can't leave any more meat in there than that. Sometimes I will inject formaldehyde. In the tip where the primaries are, especially on larger birds like turkeys, eiders, and geese. Are your pictures too large? If that's the case, I can give you a link to a website that will automatically adjust your pictures to a size that will fit here. If that's not the case, I can walk you through it real easy.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I tape both my primaries and secondaries but use cardboard (posterboard strips) also. The strips (one per wing on the underside) are used to ad curvature to the entire wing. Odds are with only tape you aren't getting that.(Just assuming) In most flying positions the wing isn't flat because of the air pushing up from below. The carding helps show that.

I also invert the wings all the way down.
duxrus
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:10 pm

honesly im not sure where the wrist of the bird is. i was taught about a year ago but i havnt really got into learning the anatomy of the bird yet, heance me calling the elbow a knuckle :tongue: the friend who taught me onl showed me to invert the wing to the first joint and demeat that, and that would be all i needed to do. im am from southern ontario we dont have probalems with bugs here. is that the reason you guys invert your wings fully ? because of bugs ?... these are the stpes in take for my wings please infrom me if i am missing something or if you thing i should do something different. the friend who taught me is in his 60's and has been birds for 40 years so i was just underthe impression that everything he taught me was correct. i invert the wing upto the first joint and demeat that. feed my wire between the skin and the bone to the tip. then wrap the wing bone with twine to replace removed meat, differnt sizes depending on how much meat was removed from wing bone, hold the twine with hot glue then i wrap that in electircal tape, then stick it back into the skin of the wing. do hyou guys have anything thoughts or opinions on what i should or shouldnt be doing there ? as far as the pictures i think its the resizing im having trouble with, im far from tech savy. thanks for taking time to respond to my post even thoiught im new :beer:
quack wackr
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:15 pm

now that i think about it though inverting the wing all the way down the taping it to the bone and putting it back in seems easier then runnig the wire between the bone and the skin, wish i had some birds to work on, just finshed up the last two on the weekend, added a wood duck to a widgeon on a dead mount and did up a nice common drake goldeneye. but goose season starts here tomorrow so maybe i will mount up on of those bad boys from the hunt tomorrow :thumbsup:
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:38 am

I will send you a link and a tutorial about sizing a photo. If You're not computer savvy, it may be difficult to walk you through it, but it's very simple. The first thing you need to do is make sure there is no check mark in the box that says: "Disable BBCode". This is found at the bottom of your age when you add to a thread. Once I send you this link to size you photo, and you save this newly sized picture to your computer, you simply click on "Upload attachment", "Choose file" The file needs to be under 1MB I believe. So a picture with something like 640 width in pixels is going to fit. Click on your desired photo, then click "choose", then click "Add the file". I have the link to the re-sizer at work, and it will take any size photo and make it as small as you want it. I typically click a picture size around 640 to 700 pixels. Also, if you have your digital camera set up to take large photos, you can usually adjust them so either the resolution is less, or the picture is smaller. I take all my taxidermy photos in this size photo, so the upload is ready to go.

I did the tutorial as described, and here is a picture. It's that simple.

As far as the meat of the wing goes, it has to do with bugs, but more to do with smell and decay for me. I don't care where you are in the world. If you leave flesh for bugs to eat, bugs will eventually find them if you are not careful? One thing about forty year old taxidermy is it may be forty years old? Perhaps not, but it could. This taxidermy thing gas come a long way. It is more simplified, yet more difficult at the same time. The average taxidermist is putting out a pretty decent bird in comparison to what was done during the dark ages of taxidermy. I would spend more time here asking questions, looking for answers in the archives, or visit taxidermy.net in the bird forum and read those threads. Most of the newbie questions have been asked, but there is also a tutorial section. Look at wingman's tips, and you can learn for free what he has taken the time to show. He took his free time to make several tutorials on different ways to accomplish the goal of a completed bird. Very good stuff in my opinion.
Attachments
NM_WoodDuck26.jpg
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 am

Pete,

Your wood duck looks so life like it is amazing.... :tongue:

I used to use Photobucket but it now takes forever to work. I now use Imageshack.com and it is so much easier (less bells and whistles than the other but actually works). It labels which code you need to copy for forum use but just make sure you choose the 640 option when you begin. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:14 am

Ya, it's a competition piece. Was thinking 3rd in the amateur division. Not sure if the water looks real or not, still tweaking!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:25 am

Here is the link to resize a picture: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Resize Images
1 Choose Picture or Photo to Shrink

So when you click browse here, you will have a list of your photos. Pick one, and click open or choose.

2 Select New Maximum Image dimension
760 Pixels 600 Pixels 350 Pixels 100 Pixels
75% 50% 25%
Custom maximum 1000px

I would suggest clicking on 600 pixels, and leaving it at 1000 max.

3 Apply an image Special effect (Optional)
Greyscale Sepia

Here I leave it on Greyscale

4 Set resized image quality (jpg compression)
Good Better Best

I believe you can select best for your image

5 * be patient if original picture is large

Once the image has been resized, you simply right click on the new (resized) image, and save image as: XXXXX I typically call it wood duck resized for example. This way you have the original picture in your computer as well. If you name the image the same thing as the original, it will delete your original image. Now that you have your new image saved in your computer, you can use the tutorial to apply it to almast any forum you want to show a picture.

So here is a random picture sized at 350 pixels and at 600 to see the difference.
Attachments
wheel 2.jpg
wheel 2.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
wheel 1.jpg
wheel 1.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum