Euro mount help

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Euro mount help

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I've got a hog head in a euro mount. Well, almost. I've got the skull and I've got the plaque stained and ready. I can't figure out how to attach the skull to the jaw and the unit to the plaque. I'm hoping one of you taxi's can chime in and give me some guidance here.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Euro mount help

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 am

Are you ever going to remove the skull from the plaque? If not, I would try to run a pilot hole with a drill through the hinge of the jaw (where it would law on the wood plaque) into the socket of the head. I would then glue this juncture. After that, I would pilot the hole once again through the bottom side of the plaque, and again through the joint of the jaw, and then countersink a hole in the bottom of the plaque, and drill a 2 or 3 inch wood screw, or whatever size it takes to hold the skull in place without being too deep or too shallow. I've glued a deer skull to its jaw set and it held, so by adding a wood screw to hold the jaw and skull together plus the skull and jaw to the plaque, I think that would definitely support it enough to hold.

There's several ways to accomplish the end result I'm sure, but this is what I would try if it was me. You will probably come up with an alternative method.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 am

You also may need a third screw to hold the "chin" down as well, but there's typically plenty of bone there, so i think you will be fine if you did indeed need another screw.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 am

There's a couple of ways to do this. If the hole in the back of the head is large enough, you can fit in a piece of hardwood and screw it in place. Then, you can drill a couple of additional holes and screw through the plack and into the skull and hardwood.

The other alternative is to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the skull and put in some molyscrews. The kind that have colapsable metal bands seem to work best for me. Be sure to colapse the screws before you mount the skull on the plaque. Then just tighten the screws through the plaque enough to hold the skull in place. Sometimes the bone in the pallet area is a little fragile.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum