Hooded Merganser

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Hooded Merganser

Postby jakuehler » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Merganser.JPG
I mounted this earlier this year. one of my first birds. I havent done any since, but i am getting ready to start again. if you have some constructive criticism or comments i would love to hear them.. i will try to take some more pictures another day, i just happened to already have this on my phone.
jakuehler
hunter

Re: Hooded Merganser

Postby JustinNH » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:23 am

I am far from an expert and have only done a few birds myself, but I do not think it is bad at all for one of your firsts! :thumbsup:

The one things that sticks out for me is the neck...

I'd like to hear what a professional has to say. I learn a lot from hearing them, even if it is not on one of my own mounts.

Keep at it :)
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby jakuehler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

i appreciate your input justin. Yes i think the neck stretched a bit, i think it looks wide/thick.
jakuehler
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:22 am

Everything looks good except the neck! :thumbsup:
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:46 pm

First it is an excellant mount for one of your first. I think the key to doing good mounts is the reference pics. I keep a file of old DU photos seperated by puddler or diver and standing or flying. If you have an actual photo of a live duck not someone elses mount the quality of your work will increase 10 fold. another good web site is michael furtmans natural world. I use it for taxi pics and when doing decoy repaints. he has every specie in almost every pose you could think of. but these pics right in front of you taped to the wall as you work on positioning and grooming the mount make it go much easier
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Taxidermy Forum