Eiders

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Eiders

Postby Dirty Doug » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:55 pm

finally mounted them....been in the freezer 2 Years....wife says I blew it says the piece looks too top heavy :fingerhead:
006  Eiders.jpg
006 Eiders.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Dirty Doug
hunter

Closer view

Postby Dirty Doug » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Eiders
Attachments
010 Eiders.jpg
010 Eiders.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Dirty Doug
hunter

Re: Eiders

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Not sure how some feathers, foam, and wire can be heavier than that base. Looks great Doug! :thumbsup:
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Eiders

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:34 am

Awesome mount!
Coleman24
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:40 am

Looks good!

Tell her is just makes it easier for her to vacuum beneath it :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby tgs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 am

Nice mount, GREAT poses... :clapping:
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:47 am

Doug, the mouth open bird is dead on in my opinion. It totally brings me back to Boston. That is a bird landing in the decoys. Still contemplating this season, but definitely next. I have a friend who just built his retirement right off the Atlantic on Plum Island. Eiders might be my favorite bird to shoot…OK, let's be real….one of my favorite! :yes:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 am

Doug, nice job. Like the OM bird. Whos' head? I see where your wife is thinking about top heavy. I'd drill the bottom of the pedestal out and fill it with lead to make it heavier just for an little insurance.

Thought about you shooting all the Blue-wings on the Pan, Reservoir and right outside the camphouse door the last two weeks!!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

"Top Heavy"................

Is she speaking "visually" or actually about the weight ? If it is the actual weight then you could do as Pat suggested. My BIG harli mount has bricks inside the pedestal AND base since it definitely would have been top heavy. Now you would have to full out tackle it to knock it over. :lol3:

If she is speaking "visually" then "I" would paint the ped. BLACK and think it would blend it into your scene a bit more.

No matter that is one S-W-E-E-T mount . Don't you just love how their skin streches enough to fit a refrigerator inside it :fingerhead:

GREAt job :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Dirty Doug » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks everyone Pete....I loved shooting them also....especially from a layout boat....I wanted a hen as bad as a drake and the guide told me to shoot the hen last....I had 2 drakes down and then proceded to shoot 2 more drakes with one shot. :fingerhead: Just gonna have to go back for the hen!

Pat...Tony Finazzo head....it fit great....nice head. Glad you thought of me shooting all those teal.....doesn't make me feel any better though. I have been stalking you some on facebook and can see I will not be welcome at L'Anguille again. You have busted your butt on the place....really looks nice. So nice only top dignitaries and politicians will be allowed (no yankees) :lol3:

Dux and Pat.....she meant visually...it is stable as heck......I thought the starfish made it a visual oasis :thumbsup: Paint it black? Didn't you hate my black panel on my brant and now you are stealing my ideas :lol3: :lol3: I do love the stretch if you have a canada body around :biggrin: and not even I can burn a hole through one on the flesher :beer:
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 am

Yes Doug, black ties for dinner now at the LLDC! :wink: We killed over 100 bluewings out of the Pan field!!

Get in touch about when you can make it down. Since you already got a nice hen Pintail I figure you won't shoot any more of the ladies!! :clapping:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Doug, I know you're one of those guys who shoots his own, but I may have a skinned, fleshed, washed and rinsed bird frozen in a block of ice sitting in my freezer? I feel the hen eider is one of those birds that is just about as pretty as a drake, and definitely the prettiest of the hens. If you need one, I may be able to help? If not hide this from your wife so you have an excuse to go back! :biggrin:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm

I agree with Pete also. And I have several in the freezer also should you want one.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Dirty Doug » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks guys....Pat........Now that I have hunted with you I now know to get up off my fat ass and throw lead when you get up to give myself half a chance :grooving: Hens will be safe as long as you are looking :biggrin: Good job on the teal.....probably not a hundred of them in our county! One thing I have realized running with you and Ramsey........I live in the wrong damn part of the country!
Dirty Doug
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum