2 drake woodies

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

2 drake woodies

Postby sledman56 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

I shot 2 drake woodies this past weekend and trying to figure out how I want to mount them. All suggestions and pictures on helping me make my decisions would be deeply appreciated.
sledman56
hunter

Re: 2 drake woodies

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby sledman56 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Liking the idea of having the two duo
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.65 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.63 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
sledman56
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Odds are that this early in the year your birds will be FULL of pin feathers so you may want to wait until as late as possible to harvest some for the wall.
duxrus
hunter

Postby sledman56 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:21 am

Duxrus...we shot a total of 12 woodies this past weekend and I kept this two to mount and while plucking the other 10 woodies there wasn't hardy any pin feathers so do you think they would still be full of them?
sledman56
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 am

Amazingly, you can find them without. I just talked with a fellow Wisconsinite, and he has two that are in good shape. He opened them up, and knows what to look for, so I know they are nearly void of those pin feathers. I don't know if it takes a bird that is very mature or what, but our green heads aren't looking eclipse like they usually do either?

On the other hand, I would agree with Brian whole-heartedly under normal circumstances, but my Son shot a drake wood duck the 3rd week in September a few years back that didn't have a single pin feather in it? I was truly amazed. I would still rather have an October/Novemeber bird, but up here in Wisconsin, they don't stick around in big numbers after the cold weather comes, making them harder to come by.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 pm

I have seen some early that were nice and "ready" for mounting but around here those are far and few inbetween. I have always "thought" that they do feather out quicker than most species but their crowns fill in as the season goes by. Seems we kill the "BIG" crested ones late in the year. I also understand issues such as location. You can't mount what is 5 states south of you when it primes out . We are lucky down here and have them all year around so we can be more choosey :tongue:

Here is a popular pose for woodies....

duxrus
hunter

Postby sledman56 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for the input, Hopefully I can mount my birds and if so I will post pictures of the mounts when I get them back
sledman56
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:21 am

duxrus wrote:I have seen some early that were nice and "ready" for mounting but around here those are far and few inbetween. I have always "thought" that they do feather out quicker than most species but their crowns fill in as the season goes by. Seems we kill the "BIG" crested ones late in the year. I also understand issues such as location. You can't mount what is 5 states south of you when it primes out . We are lucky down here and have them all year around so we can be more choosey :tongue:

Here is a popular pose for woodies....

Do this...one of the coolest woddie mounts I've seen.
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Gotta love wood ducks...
Attachments
woody 008.JPG
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum