fleshing tools

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

fleshing tools

Postby ptlkmg » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:58 pm

I have finally got my little room cleaned out to and ready to start my trip down the road of taxidermy, but I have run into a few problems, I have never done this before and dont have the first clue as to what I am going to be doing, I bought a starter kit for a wood duck and got a tape to watch and a freezer full of ducks to pratice on but dont know what I need as far as tools for the skinning aspect, I have checked on all the sites I can looking for a starter took kit but cant seem to find one, does anyone know were I can buy such a kit. Thank you
ptlkmg
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:29 pm

I know I posted this for you once before, but here it goes again. Please disregard if you still have any of this info. I don't suggest buying a starter kit, instead just order these tools from VanDyke's, Rinehart's, Wasco, or McKenzie. I personally use McKenzie, and if you call 1-800-279-7985, they'll send you a catalog when you open an account with them. Here are the tools you'll need:

a scalpal
a set of curved scissors
a grinder to sharpen the wires
a set of wire cutters to cut the wires
a means of fleshing the fat from the quills (I suggest a motorised flesher, but make sure you are really into this before making that investment.)
a hand held flesher if you choose
a curved 4 inch needle for sewing the cavity shut
a good thread as well
dry preservative (borax Bleach)
dish soap for cleaning the duck after fleshing
Odorless mineral spirits to evacuate the water after washing
a means of drying the bird after cleaning (blowdrier, or corn cob grit in a garbage bag, or a motor driven tumbler.)
super glue (if you are going to make the "around the bill" incision) (By the way the video probably won't show you this method.)
some painters tape
paper clips
pins and "T" pins
paint
epoxy or clay
a MEASURED artificial foam body (get youself a seamstress tape)
an artificial head if using this method
Glass eyes
wire for the wings, feet, and neck
necking material
caulk
cotton batting

That should be most of the material you'll need. If you search Dan Rinehart Taxidermy Supply on taxidermy.net, you'll find his number and he has a full kit you can buy, but if I recall, it's pretty pricey!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Also read the archives, because I have answered quite a few questions in the past.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ptlkmg » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:58 am

Thanks for the list I did get this before just got side tracked with other projects and forgot now I have the time to start in on the taxidermy
ptlkmg
hunter

Postby Yellowdog38 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:29 am

I would suggest, before you start, getting the Breakthrough Bird Taxidermy manual. It can be purchased through Wasco or Mckenzie and has a wealth of information, including a complete tool list.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum