Early Season Bird Mounts

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:54 am

Hey all, I was told by my taxidermist that mounting a fully plumed wood duck in early season would be pointless because their feathers have still yet to finish molting. Is this true? I know what to look for on birds when I begin to pluck them now because he said the blue pins under their down feathers are new ones coming in. So what Im getting at is a confirmation of whether I should just go ahead and clean this bird for the grill or attempt to have it done and risk the bird turning out bad because the feathers will fall? Sorry if I have confused anyone.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters


Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=203556

I would say that almost always a bird shot early season could do some more feather-filling-out if you will. They are typically full of pin feathers because of the molt, or the fact that they are juvenile. A wood duck looks pretty no matter what, if it's a drake, but you can open them up and see the nightmare your taxidermist might be referring to. Again, there are exceptions to every rule. I would prefer a later season bird every time.
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am

Understandable, its just upsetting because this bird is fat, definitely mature, and probably the prettiest I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. I guess good pictures will just have to do it justice and Ill just hope to have another nice one come November. On the bright side it will taste damn good.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby TrevorAthensTaxidermy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Atleast have "your" taxidermist examine it himself before ya decide not to mount it! not all early season ducks arent good candidates for a mount! I do plenty of ducks shot early that come out great! just my 2 cents
TrevorAthensTaxidermy
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby King Eider » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 pm

WRONG! While MOST birds early in the year will still be developing feather AKA pin feathers there are SOME that do plume out and won't get any better as the year progresses. I have mounted many Wood Ducks shot in late September or early October that are completely finished with growth of feathers. I hope you saved him in the freezer for a good bird taxidermist to look at.
King Eider
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:21 pm

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

King Eider wrote:WRONG! While MOST birds early in the year will still be developing feather AKA pin feathers there are SOME that do plume out and won't get any better as the year progresses. I have mounted many Wood Ducks shot in late September or early October that are completely finished with growth of feathers. I hope you saved him in the freezer for a good bird taxidermist to look at.

You guys are killing me lol. I still have him in the freezer and like I said before this is a large wood duck so either he was overweight or just older and grown up. Plus the feathers have all their color and to my knowledge it doesn't look like he is pushing anymore pins out. I'm teetering here on what to do. Need advice from everyone. I don't
wanna wait several more years to get another bird like this. Problem is the Taxidermist I have been using is in Orlando and I'm in Tallahassee so the drive isn't close.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby treefrog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Now I would like to start with I have never done any taxidermy but, couldn’t you just skin him yourself and see if he has pins or not? Or ask nicely for your taxi to check? My bird taxi always skins the birds then gives us a call to tell us exactly what the damage from shooting the bird is, his opinion on if it is a quality bird or not, and to make sure we still want it done. The worst he could say is he won’t skin it for you just to see.
treefrog
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby duxrus » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 pm

Here is my .02..............like we discussed in another post, wood ducks seem to plume out earlier than most other species but you MIGHT get 1 out of 100 decent looking plumed out birds in our TN September season. I have seen plenty of "taxidermists" who will take in ANYTHING no matter how lacking the finished product will be along with the ones who pull the ol' switch a roo (immature bird gets dropped off and poof you get the best plummed out bird for the wall....notice on all the taxidermy forums people asking for birds :no: ) I always offer to look at a bird before giving a definite"NO" but they are fore warned. Since we have woodies all season long I suggest them waiting until the regular season gets here. They can still save the early bird and bring it with another where the best bird gets mounted. Again, alot of people are fine with a "decent" finished product and others wait for the perfect one. Then again other states open later than our early season so each week your odds of one being plumed out gets better and better.

Does yours have a nice full head crest....the orange flank feathers.....full side pockets ??? Do you shoot a lot of them each season ?...If so just save it with some later birds and pick the best one. :thumbsup:

Now I 100% do not accept early geese because they are NOT mountable down here in September. They "might" have 50% of their feathers in "if" you are lucky. I will sometimes hear about how "someone else did an awsome job on one" :fingerhead: . I tell them to enjoy looking at someone elses late season bird then :fingerpt:

Finally, as with anything, the final product vs quality of the bird depends on the skill level of your taxidermist. Some people can fix almost any problem where as others are lucky to make a decent mount from a perfect specimen.
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Duxrus, I appreciate your input and you make a valid point. Heres the bird I shot. Hes on the bottom in the multi bird pic.The crest on the head is full to my knowledge and his feathers under the wings are all there. Let me know what you think. I think I will hold on to this bird for a while to see if anything better comes along. Worst case I will take it to the taxi and have him look and determine if its mountable.
IMG_20120924_110706-1.jpg

IMG_20120924_093955-1.jpg
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:28 pm

As everyone has said, woodies seem to plume out the fastest. I have two in my freezer all skinned out. One was shot opening day towards the end of September with not a single pinfeather in it. The bird is quite spectacular and has a crest about an inch longer than that one. I also shot another woodie last week that looked similar to yours, he was in good shape with relatively few pinfeathers and is definitely mountable. A quick way that I tell if its okay to even open up is to gently brush my hand against its flank feathers revealing the quills around the tail. If I see any pinfeathers there I know it is no good. Checking the side pockets the same way is another dead give away. I hope this helped!
User avatar
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 5539
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 am

I posted a previous link that was in my original post on this particular thread. I stated that you can get a decent bird especially a wood duck. Your bird from what I can see on the outside qualifies in my opinion as a bird that would certainly be worth mounting. However, I have not seen the inside of the bird. Will it have pins? I don't know? being from Wisconsin, I started out fleshing a ton of Wisconsin birds, so I learned the hard way how to flesh a bird, even when they have those pin feathers to contend with. I would consider my fleshing skills to be pretty damn good, because I had to learn on such early season birds. As I posted in that previous thread, you can find birds that have no pin feathers at all, and that has been covered. Your bird will probably be just fine. Even if he isn't fully feathered, (which he looks good), a good taxidermist will make him look just fine, so put him in the freezer in a couple ziplocks, and press as much air out as possible if you're not going to get him to your taxidermist in a timely manner.

Additionally, I would prefer a bird from a later season. Here in Wisconsin, there are birds that will be Ok for taxidermy (sorry, a blue-winged teal is not one of them) (and again, they will mount). Will a pintail from the last (huntable) day in Wisconsin mount up? Yep, but until you kill a January bird, you will never realize that you have mounted a less than stellar bird. I use the pintail as an example, but this applies to almost all species, and that's why I travel. I do this as a hobby, and would not prefer to be a taxidermist trying to charge money for mounting birds that were shot here. I fleshed birds for a guy that happens to be a Wisconsin taxidermist, and my experience says I would turn away at least 50% of the work that DUXRUS points out that some taxidermists will not turn away....including the guy I fleshed for. If my name was attached to that piece due to the fact that it wasn't a great bird, and his skill level (but that's another topic), I would be embarrassed to have it leave my shop!
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 am

No offence, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell if a bird has pinfeathers or not. You don't have to skin one to tell that and can check the scaps, tails, neck and everywhere else by just rolling the feathers back. And if you think about it, the younger Wood Ducks feather out quicker than the older ones as the adults are coming out of eclipse while the young of the year birds have grown their feathers out for the first yeaar sll summer since they hatched in the spring. This can fool you. Think about it. I've watched that occur in my aviary countless times where the first year birds reach good plummage faster than their parents. This is why mature adult drakes reach their best plummage late season when courting starts so by early spring they are in their breeding prime and most attractive to the hens. Again, think about it.

Looking at your bird, I wouldn't hesitate to mount it for a client as it looks a lot better than most and is a good representative specimen. Nice crest and from what I can tell a decent bird. As stated before by Brian and quite well by the way, check the side pockets and see if they are full and use a good taxidermist, not just someone that does birds when he isn't painting fish or mounting deer heads. A good and honest bird taxidermist can tell you in a hurry if it will make a good mount not over the phone either.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
The Waterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby TrevorAthensTaxidermy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 am

Pete-pec wrote:
Additionally, I would prefer a bird from a later season. Here in Wisconsin, there are birds that will be Ok for taxidermy (sorry, a blue-winged teal is not one of them) (and again, they will mount). Will a pintail from the last (huntable) day in Wisconsin mount up? Yep, but until you kill a January bird, you will never realize that you have mounted a less than stellar bird. I use the pintail as an example, but this applies to almost all species, and that's why I travel. I do this as a hobby, and would not prefer to be a taxidermist trying to charge money for mounting birds that were shot here. I fleshed birds for a guy that happens to be a Wisconsin taxidermist, and my experience says I would turn away at least 50% of the work that DUXRUS points out that some taxidermists will not turn away....including the guy I fleshed for. If my name was attached to that piece due to the fact that it wasn't a great bird, and his skill level (but that's another topic), I would be embarrassed to have it leave my shop!


So your basically telling wisconsin guys to screw off? 90 percent of my work is wisconsin birds. Every bird i do comes out great! I always tell my customers that there bird will only be as nice as what they bring me. and if they are happy i am happy! Im not in this for competition. im in it for my customers!
AND Thats like telling a guy you wont mount it because his buck isnt big enough!!! What a joke...

Oh and pete you told me i have to change my name because because it lets people know i am a taxidermist. 90 percent of your post are you basically stating that you are a taxidermist!!!!!!!! Dont worry pete this will be my last post under the name "TrevorAthensTaxidermy".

oh and just for giggles heres a pic of teal shot opening weekend! which you say shouldnt be mounted. well tell that person his first duck wasnt good enough!!!

PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
taxidermy pics 092.JPG
TrevorAthensTaxidermy
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby duxrus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 am

That woodie "looks" fine. Looking at his crest I do see that the upper white stripe seems not to extend all the way to the end of the crest but that is being picky :grooving: I have just learned that "looks can be decieving" until you get a bird in hand to inspect. Earlier birds tend to have side pockets that will sometimes fall right out once you skin them. (Yes, you can glue them back but that falls back on skill level)

Bag him up and like you said, see what else comes by before visiting your taxidermist just in case. :thumbsup:
Last edited by duxrus on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby duxrus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am

So your basically telling wisconsin guys to screw off? 90 percent of my work is wisconsin birds. Every bird i do comes out great! I always tell my customers that there bird will only be as nice as what they bring me. and if they are happy i am happy! Im not in this for competition. im in it for my customers!


Mr. :crying: ,

Sorry but ANYONE who says that is soooooooooo FULL OF BS. World champions can't do a Great mount everytime. Who are you kidding ? I guess your clients only bring in birds that died of natural causes...not shot to hell, feathers missing or chipped up, legs looking like they went through a shredder, bones shattered throughout, etc.... :fingerpt:
AND Thats like telling a guy you wont mount it because his buck isnt big enough!!! What a joke...


That is what is called HONESTY...if a bird is in poor condition and you gladly accept it knowing it will make a "decent" mount at best with a big ol' smile on your face as you cash their check then that says a whole lot about you. Doing someone's first bird after a "friendly warning" is something totally different.

Oh and pete you told me i have to change my name because because it lets people know i am a taxidermist. 90 percent of your post are you basically stating that you are a taxidermist!!!!!!!! Dont worry pete this will be my last post under the name "TrevorAthensTaxidermy".


100% of his posts are coming from someone who does this as a hobby. :fingerhead: Your business must be booming since you have to advertise any way possible no matter what a forum's rules state......(and apparently accept anything)

Just use your business phone number as your call name next time... :tongue:


PEACE OUT :welcome:
Last edited by duxrus on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 am

It's not good enough. There, that was said! I'm not suggesting that you tell a kid not to mount his first bird, or a dog's first retrieve, I'm simply saying it would look better (meaning prettier) if it was a later season bird. Also, I said I was a taxidermist, and have said it nearly every time, I am a hobbyist. I rarely display my pictures, and I DO NOT do this for anyone but myself. One more thing, I have a good eye for talent, and know good taxidermy. I am humble enough to compliment those that do good work, and for that reason I'm very hard on myself. I can mount a bird. To the untrained eye, most people look at those pretty feathers, and rarely look at anatomy or composition, and think every stuffed bird looks awesome. News flash...They're not. You also could use a little bit more humbleness on your part. Don't let your ego get in the way. You will succeeed that much more when you can take a few steps back. "Every bird I do comes out great"! Just for giggle? your right, I giggled! Great example....For me!

I was very kind PMing you asking you to follow the rules, gave you advice on a paint scheme on a bufflehead's foot, and I then Pm'd you again asking you to change your name because it is against the rules. These are just rules. Sort of like wearing a seat belt. You might not like it, but there are rules. As a moderator I simply asked you to put your seat belt on. So you get all pissy because you didn't like what I had to say? Come on man, this is a big boy world, get over it!

I'm not telling Wisconsin guys to screw off. I know plenty of top tier bird taxidermists from Wisconsin. More that can do the bread and butter deer shoulder mount, but there are indeed great bird taxidermists in Wisconsin. Most of them are mounting birds after they build a relationship with folks from other places. They have the luxury to turn sub par birds away, or advise the customer to wait for a better bird. I have birds mounted on my wall that are shot in Wisconsin, but they are easily outweighed by birds from other places. In no way am I telling a Wisconsin guy to turn every bird away. The customer comes first. If after giving them an honest opinion, they still insist on getting that special bird mounted, go for it! Remember though, the next guy who sees a poorly plumed bird on that customer's wall is judging it. He may not take into consideration all the reasons it was mounted? he may simply say: "I don't like it". If you think that's good for business, go for it! Remember, I'm not doing this for money. I have a job working for someone else, and a HOBBY I love!

Peace out!
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 am

The best compliment a taxidermist can get is someone calling his work great. A taxidermist calling his own work great is another story.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
The Waterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Man I didn't mean to start a who's better than who debate on here. I just wanted an opinion on the bird and what I should do with it lol. But I'm gonna hold on to it this season and see what happens. I can't lift the wings to check under for pins because its frozen obviously but we will see what happens. Thanks for all the input fellas. Much appreciated.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:The best compliment a taxidermist can get is someone calling his work great. A taxidermist calling his own work great is another story.

:thumbsup:
There are no ducks in the desert!
User avatar
Cougar125
hunter
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Deployment again!

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tywhite87 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Mount the bird, if the taxi calls and says it's crap and he can't mount it then cut your losses and you're out a little bit of meat.

For reference I shot this woodie last saturday here in SE WI, fully feathered out and not a pin feather to be found. I've got a standing wood duck mount and am looking for one to do a flyer and would have had this one mounted if I hadn't shot the piss out of it's left wing.

Image
User avatar
tywhite87
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: SW Wisconsin

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 pm

tywhite87 wrote: I've got a standing wood duck mount and am looking for one to do a flyer and would have had this one mounted if I hadn't shot the piss out of it's left wing.

Mount it anyways. Last year I jump shot a woody that attempted to jump off the river when I appeared, but then I found out he only had 1 wing. He should be done soon and on my wall.
There are no ducks in the desert!
User avatar
Cougar125
hunter
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Deployment again!

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 pm

10-4 fellas
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby emusmacker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm

TrevorAthensTaxidermy wrote:
Pete-pec wrote:
Additionally, I would prefer a bird from a later season. Here in Wisconsin, there are birds that will be Ok for taxidermy (sorry, a blue-winged teal is not one of them) (and again, they will mount). Will a pintail from the last (huntable) day in Wisconsin mount up? Yep, but until you kill a January bird, you will never realize that you have mounted a less than stellar bird. I use the pintail as an example, but this applies to almost all species, and that's why I travel. I do this as a hobby, and would not prefer to be a taxidermist trying to charge money for mounting birds that were shot here. I fleshed birds for a guy that happens to be a Wisconsin taxidermist, and my experience says I would turn away at least 50% of the work that DUXRUS points out that some taxidermists will not turn away....including the guy I fleshed for. If my name was attached to that piece due to the fact that it wasn't a great bird, and his skill level (but that's another topic), I would be embarrassed to have it leave my shop!


So your basically telling wisconsin guys to screw off? 90 percent of my work is wisconsin birds. Every bird i do comes out great! I always tell my customers that there bird will only be as nice as what they bring me. and if they are happy i am happy! Im not in this for competition. im in it for my customers!
AND Thats like telling a guy you wont mount it because his buck isnt big enough!!! What a joke...

Oh and pete you told me i have to change my name because because it lets people know i am a taxidermist. 90 percent of your post are you basically stating that you are a taxidermist!!!!!!!! Dont worry pete this will be my last post under the name "TrevorAthensTaxidermy".

oh and just for giggles heres a pic of teal shot opening weekend! which you say shouldnt be mounted. well tell that person his first duck wasnt good enough!!!

PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Uhhh, nice bird, but in my opinion, that isn't a "great bird". But that's just an opinion, and to be honest with you, if you were my taxidermist, and saw the attitude you have here, I wouldn't be back.

The guys that gave you advise are great bird taxi's, you should listen to them. trust me, by the duck you have in that picture, LISTEN TO THEM, PLEASE!!

Peace Out
emusmacker
hunter
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: Round the corner

Re: Early Season Bird Mounts

Postby PADuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 pm

That bird is sweet mount it man
PADuck
hunter
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 am


Return to Taxidermy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests