how difficult is it for a taxi to change bases?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

how difficult is it for a taxi to change bases?

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:09 pm

If I eventually want 2-3 ducks on the same base, but only have 1 of them right now, should I wait and get them all done at the same time? Or can I have 1 done on a simple base or a wall mount and move it to a larger base when I get the others done? I don't really want to have a large base with just 1 duck on it for a couple seasons while I try to shoot the others
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Re: how difficult is it for a taxi to change bases?

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm not a taxi, so we'll get that out of the way. I would think that if your birds were all done individually, mounted in various poses that would work well on one base, that you should be able to move them to a different base. Here's why. Generally, birds are wired to the base through the bottom of their feet. The wire is then secured to the base, whether its staples on the bottom or glued into a stump. So, in theory, depending on the taxi and how they do it, you should be able to do that.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I would stay away from any standing bird scene done in "stages". Once the feet dry they are stuck in that position. When driftwood and other uneven surfaces are being used the feet will contour to them while drying. If another base isn't the exact same contour then it will look like you took a duck off one base and "tried" to put it on another. When doing a base with multiple birds it is easier to make all the birds work better together if you do them all at once so if something needs "tweeking" to better the interaction of the birds, it can still be done. Once dry you are forced to try to fit a square peg in a round hole......"making" something work usually isn't the best way. IMO
duxrus
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Learned something new today. Thanks!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 pm

What about flying or flushing birds? Then would it be as easy as reattaching the wire?
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Flying are easier to do in stages. When someone brings in multiple birds to go "together" I try to talk them into using seperate pieces of wood instead of a single one. The reasons behind this are you can use them together or if you ever change your mind and want to seperate them....you can. If you want to add to the "flock" look down the road....you can. Now if someone is adding to an existing mount I always insist on an actual picture of that bird so I see what I am working with. You don't want a flock of identical poses or a cupped one along side a taking off. People tend to describe something totally different that what I was thinking so I take all the guess work out of it.

With it being so close to season, I would keep what you already had and wait until the end of the upcoming season to see if your other pieces to the puzzle are collected or not. If you decide to just wait them out, take about 6 paper towels and SOAK them. Wrap them around your bird to make sure everything is covered (especially the head and feet) so when it freezes you have created an ICE caccoon around it. If done correctly that bird will last for YEARS without concerns of freezerburn. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:33 am

All makes sense. Thanks for the advice
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum