Duck ID, Suggestions for mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Duck ID, Suggestions for mount

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey ya'll, shot this guy this morning in northwestern Wisconsin. I believe it is a Red Crested Pochard, but ill see what you guys think. Since i will most likely never shoot one ever again, i think i might take it to the taxi. What does everyone think? Can this bird be made into an attractive mount?
Goofy duck 2.jpg

goofy duck 3.jpg

Goofy duck.jpg

goofy duck 5.jpg
DukDukGoose
hunter

Re: Duck ID, Suggestions for mount

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Wow. I've never seen one of those before. :thumbsup:
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:53 am

Looks like a Merganso-Widgeo-farm duck in a tree in Peru!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm

You look to be correct on the I.D. but that bird isn't totally colored out yet. Go look up pics of them and you will see how bright those feathers should be compared to yours. You have someone's aviary escape but the way I see it is if it acts wild it is wild :grooving: Even though it isn't what I would call a "prime" specimen, those don't fly by every day so I would find a great WATERFOWL taxidermist and let them work some magic. Congrats on a very cool bird in the hand. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 pm

duxrus wrote:You look to be correct on the I.D. but that bird isn't totally colored out yet. Go look up pics of them and you will see how bright those feathers should be compared to yours. You have someone's aviary escape but the way I see it is if it acts wild it is wild :grooving: Even though it isn't what I would call a "prime" specimen, those don't fly by every day so I would find a great WATERFOWL taxidermist and let them work some magic. Congrats on a very cool bird in the hand. :thumbsup:

Yeah, comparatively its not a great specimen, but its what i ended up with haha... Doubt there are too many of em flying the marshes of Wisconsin!
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby southernducker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:59 pm

a standard "resting" pose" with a small marsh scene would look great....maybe even have the bird dozing with one eye halfway closed and feathers somewhat puffed/ruffled standing on one leg :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
southernducker
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum