Canvasback mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Canvasback mount

Postby loon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 am

I was hunting in northern wis near hurley last wknd we got into some great diver hunting !I have only shot 3 wisconsin cans but this one is an absolute stud. I want to do a flying mount anyone have any pics to share?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Canvasback mount

Postby duxrus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Please post a pic of your bird. Most divers don't color out until late December and usually are covered in pin feathers. Canvassbacks tend to be the worst. The ones we kill early barley have any black on the chests and their heads are a lighter orange than the mature dark red color.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:05 pm

I'd also suggest looking under the bill. Mature birds have a white diamond where the bill and feathers meet.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Look up flyway taxidermy he won 09 worlds with a can I would kill for that mount .on a crappy note I messed up on a big can today :sad:
cootlover
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I dropped the bird off at mike orthobers in egg harbor, you taxidermists have probably heard of him. What I was hoping for was some good pics of flying mounts or real birds
loon
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Sorry its a small picture, I am technologically challenged. My daughter is helping me post this and it has actually taken over 20 minutes.
Attachments
408584_4294292673495_1390444423_n-1.jpg
408584_4294292673495_1390444423_n-1.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
loon
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I didn't know he did birds? I know he does excellent fish from what I remember.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Nice diver spread there loon! I've never got a bluebill or ringneck.

If I may make a suggestion for your pictures, use a photo hosting site such as photobucket. There are multiple "how-to" that pull up on google on how to make an account and upload your pictures.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Yes great fish too he does a lot of museum work with birds. He did an old squaw pair for a buddy of mine they are unbelievable
loon
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks cougar we got 8 different species that wknd goldeneye,hooded merganser, bluebill,ringers,redheads,the can,mallards and a pintail. The pintail andcanvasbacks are rare in the imediate area we were hunting. I thought you washington state guys shot all the fully plumed divers? I saw a DU episode on the columbia and they were getting all the great species
loon
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 pm

loon wrote:Thanks cougar we got 8 different species that wknd goldeneye,hooded merganser, bluebill,ringers,redheads,the can,mallards and a pintail. The pintail andcanvasbacks are rare in the imediate area we were hunting. I thought you washington state guys shot all the fully plumed divers? I saw a DU episode on the columbia and they were getting all the great species

I just moved to WA. I got my Redhead and Can in central Cali last year...in fact...most of my mounts are Cali birds from December and Jan...so they're all in great color. I've got Widgeon, Spoonies, Woodies, Ruddies, Buffies, Pintail, and all 3 species of Teal at the taxi right now. If you'd like, I can take pics of what I've got back so far and PM you the pics. I'm actually excited about the damned spoony because I have yet to see one up here.

I have yet to shoot Scaup, Ringnecks, Gadwalls, Goldeneyes, Mergansers, or any sea ducks, and this year I will probably be taking geese in since I had never shot one and now have a Lesser Canadian in my freezer.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:43 pm

I have about 5000 bluebills in my backyard right now rafted up about 300yds off shore,and in a few weeks the bluebills will be gone and we will get mostly goldeneyes(whistlers) . I'd love see pics of your mounts
loon
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:18 pm

loon wrote:I have about 5000 bluebills in my backyard right now rafted up about 300yds off shore,and in a few weeks the bluebills will be gone and we will get mostly goldeneyes(whistlers) . I'd love see pics of your mounts

Check your PMs.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Cougar125 wrote:I'd also suggest looking under the bill. Mature birds have a white diamond where the bill and feathers meet.

Not necessiarly, I had an 8 year old drake in my aviary that had no white where the skin meets the lower mandible. S
uspect this is genetic.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:I'd also suggest looking under the bill. Mature birds have a white diamond where the bill and feathers meet.

Not necessiarly, I had an 8 year old drake in my aviary that had no white where the skin meets the lower mandible. S
uspect this is genetic.

Interesting. Well...it wouldn't be the first time a CA Gamie was wrong.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am

Yes, I've met several that couldn't tell a hen Ringneck from a hen Redhead, juvenile Blue from a juvenile Speck, even a drake Can from a drake Redhead. Don't believe everything they tell you.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby PnR_Productions » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
loon wrote:Thanks cougar we got 8 different species that wknd goldeneye,hooded merganser, bluebill,ringers,redheads,the can,mallards and a pintail. The pintail andcanvasbacks are rare in the imediate area we were hunting. I thought you washington state guys shot all the fully plumed divers? I saw a DU episode on the columbia and they were getting all the great species
I have yet to shoot Scaup, Ringnecks, Gadwalls, Goldeneyes, Mergansers, or any sea ducks, and this year I will probably be taking geese in since I had never shot one and now have a Lesser Canadian in my freezer.

I whacked a long tail duck in inland WI last year :) sorry i had to gloat a little
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
PnR_Productions
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Pete-pec wrote:I didn't know he did birds? I know he does excellent fish from what I remember.

He must be good with fish because for some reason little old me has heard that same thing. Guys up and down the shore send their great lakes fish to him.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum