Skinned a bird yesterday

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Skinned a bird yesterday

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 am

Well, yesterday I skinned my second bird, ever. The first one I skinned was a shot-up can and I tore lots of holes in it. Needless to say, the primaries of that bird were given to a taxi-friend of mine for "parts".

Yesterday I did a scotch double and the scotch was a hen widgeon. Texas Heart Shot - 1 pellet. I though she got away free but I saw her legs drop and so I knew she was done. Didn't wring her neck, but applied pressure in the middle of her back for a minute or two until she expired.

I really took my time skinning her out and managed to only pop off 1 of the legs and make a few small knicks. I left the leg bones up to the hip attached and got all the meat off. The wings I inverted to the wrists and cut the muscles out. I did get all the way up to the base of the skull before cutting the neck so the carcass should come out. I'm going to look on taxidermy.net here shortly, but is ther any advice you guys would give about how to do the skull? I know a lot of guys use artificial heads, but how do the guys that use real heads skin them out and flesh them?

For now, all I can really do is skin birds until I get good at it and get a fleshing wheel. I'll probably skin a ton of birds before I go any further.

For the most part, she didn't have a whole ton of pin feathers, but I'm pretty sure she was from this year's hatch based on the coloring of her bill. I can post up some pics if somebody wants.

Hope everybody is having fun!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Skinned a bird yesterday

Postby duxrus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:41 pm

As far as using real skulls......I make a small cut down the back of the neck , starting at the base of the skull. You can then invert from there. At first you will need to proceed with severe caution, especially on bloody birds, but once you get the hang of where "everything" is you can skin them out in a few minutes. I don't save the entire skull but rather just the skull plate from the eyes up. The way I rebuild the skull (head) is kind of confusing unless seen in person but I basicly add filler and caulk through the bill once the bird is mounted. I sew the neck cut closed before drying the bird. I have never seen anyone else do it the way I do except for the person who taught me a similar method Y-E-A-R-S ago that I have since modified. It takes only a few minutes to get a nice shaped head and the eyes set without messing with clay or hotglue....

I can go into more detail if need be....PM if interested. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Re: Skinned a bird yesterday

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks for the little tutorial Brian. Makes it pretty simple. Much simpler than skinning around the beak to put in an artificial head. I've only tried doing that once.

Gotta keep practicing until I get my fleshing wheel. Should have a good handful of skins to flesh by the time I get one.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum