Anyone interested in shooting species for taxidermist?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Anyone interested in shooting species for taxidermist?

Postby drbell » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Im a taxidermist in virginia, and i was looking for some species that i do not have here in virginia to add to my collection, i would love to get a frozen pintail, seen a few but not many, and a blue goose, and most definitely a canvasback, not allowed in virginia, anyone interested in shooting a species will pay per bird, hit me up with a PM and let me know, or email me at drbell131@yahoo.com
drbell
hunter

Postby sambair » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:01 pm

it is illegal to kill migratory birds and sell them you have to by birds from licensed waterfowlbreeders or you will be paying apretty hefty fine for buying legally killed birds ans so will the person you bought them from just fyi
sambair
hunter

Not quite illegal

Postby drbell » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 am

its only illigal if i sell them after i mount them but they would be for my own personal collection, there is nothing against the law about that
drbell
hunter

Re: Anyone interested in shooting species for taxidermist?

Postby casey_714 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 am

drbell wrote:anyone interested in shooting a species will pay per bird,

I think he meant the fact that you would pay for them in the first place, not selling them after you mount them. I think..
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:32 pm

drbell,

Read your Entire 50 CFR's, and you'll find that it is indeed illegal to buy sell or barter migratory birds that were once wild and legally shot. Even for your own personal use. You can however gift a bird, or be gifted a bird that was harvested.

If you are not allowed to be in possession of a Canvasback, then I'd also suggest not getting one of those unless it was a pen-raised bird and you have the proper paperwork. The burden of proof lies in your corner, and good luck beating the Feds.

Any other questions please feel free to ask, I know the rules, have done alot of research, and have most of the facts.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

Yea you could just buy pen raised birds?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm

My buddy has had UNDERCOVER fed's in his shop trying to buy mounts. They came in 5-6 times over a two month period and even had digital recordings of their conversations. He started out in a shop working for the owner and the owner was once fined $14,000 for having birds with no info. attached to them in the freezer and they seized ALL his waterfowl....frozen, mounted and done and un-finished work. About 50 birds!
When they came into my buddies shop I guess they were trying to test him because of who he worked for previously. The feds take ALL this stuff VERY seriously.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby danedawg » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:52 am

Try googling Duck Breeders or Game Duck Breeders. :salude:
danedawg
hunter

Postby dgraves » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Why would it be illegal to posses a canvasback in Viginia if you was a taxidermy and was doing a mount for someone. I understand it to be illegal to shoot one. If you had a carcus tag present on the bird and say you let this guy mount your bird then you did not receive it back. What would be wrong with that. I am not trying to get anyone stirred up just asking.
dgraves
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:12 pm

dgraves,

It wouldn't be illegal, it would just be hard to prove otherwise that you didn't harvest the bird yourself, and had a friend from another state offer you up a tag that made your illegally shot bird (per your State Regs) legal because it had a tag that said otherwise. I'm not saying that anyone harvested a bird illegally, I'm just saying that the burden of proof lies in your corner. And Yes, if he has the gifted tag from the donor of the bird, then he is indeed legal. Now all of this is pure speculation on my part, because there are State regulations that conflict with the Federal Regs, and between the two separate departments, there aren't any real experts on the 50 CFR's. The Regulations are written very vaguely, and there is the interpretation of each individual to deal with. I hope this rambling makes it a bit more clear to what I was trying to say in my original post. I just don't want to see anyone get their tail in a ringer!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:04 pm

Plus right in the original post, he said he'll "pay per bird". That would make it illegal.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby dgraves » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:13 am

I understand what you guys are saying. That the Feds make there own laws. A buddy and myself got checked 2 weeks ago by a federal field agent while we was in the duck blind. He was cool but he did not even know where he was at. He asked me if we was in Oklahoma or Texas. We hunt Lake Texoma right on the border of OK and TX. He though we guides out there with clients because we was in a area that you have to have a airboat to get into and all of the guides down here have airboats. He is trying to catch the guides baiting with corn. He did not give us any problem but we watched him go to the next group about 500 yards away and he walked threw there decoys and blind and picked birds up and then started writting them some paper. Not sure on what they did but I do know they wacked at some canvasbacks and it is not season yet.
dgraves
State Moderator

Postby Booney3721 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:01 pm

Well tht guy was just confused but there telling ya the turht if u pay for bird tht somebody else has killed then tht makes it illegal. My Fathers an Taxidermist and so was his father and father before him and my moms dad and three brothers r taxidermits also...Sorry for the spelling..Hands cold badly
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:21 pm

You are allowed 1 canvasback in VA. per day Possesion limit is twice the daily bag.
JAKE H
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum