Question for all the taxidermists

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Question for all the taxidermists

Postby Mad Rattler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi everyone! I have a question for all the taxidermists out there. I enjoy doing taxidermy as a hobby and have been doing it for 6 years. I have a total of 36 mounts under my belt and they are all ducks/geese that I have personally shot. This year I have had quite a few people ask me if I would mount there ducks/geese. I have never done a mount for someone else. My question is when did you guys decide on doing it as a business? I am worried that I might mess up a mount and ruin someone's trophy bird. I am also worried about providing the mount in a timely manner. I do it as a hobby and if it takes me 3 months to do a mount for myself then so be it. I do have a full time job that comes first but maybe a little side income wouldn’t hurt. I’m just wondering how all the successful taxidermists out there started off. Thanks for reading my post.
Mad Rattler
Newb

Re: Question for all the taxidermists

Postby dablaw » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:46 pm

First off get your Fed License before you even consider mounting for the public...That's the law..If you have enough people requesting you do do mounts for them then apparently they admire your work or they wouldn't be asking..I went to taxi school and worked under another taxi for a few years before I opened up my own shop this fall FINALLY...As far as another job goes..That's tricky, so just don't bog yourself down with so many you can't get them done in a timely manner or you get burnt out...Buying another freezer isn't always the answer...If you have zero mounts to put out and someone brings a duck in, you should be able to skin, prep and mount in no more than a day or 2 at the most then you have your dry time(I allow 4 weeks minimum, but thats debatable) then a day of finsh work so , 5-6 weeks say if you have no others..Hey I'd like to go into more detail but got to hit the stand..Later, David.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby Mad Rattler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks David for your post! Did you start off doing taxidermy as a hobby or did you always want to be a taxidermist? I'm just worried that once I take on more work. It will stop being an enjoyable hobby and start being more of a job.
Mad Rattler
Newb

Postby duxrus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 am

Once you start a JOB is awaiting.....I started doing a few a year for friends and now have thousands under my belt. I left my old job behind but still enjoy putting birds on the wall. Other than the occasional impatient client it isn't bad, especially the somewhat flexible schedule.
duxrus
hunter

Postby TedC » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:25 am

I suggest you enter some state competitions. I have 17 second place ribbons but I still screw up a bird every once in a while. It will happen. Sometimes its the quality of the bird, sometimes it's my fault.
TedC
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:40 pm

To answer your question Mad Rattler...When I was in my early teens as a kid I started messing aroung with taxidermy...Then it just kinda never happened and I went through my life without making time to do it...
Long story short..I'm now about to be 46 this month and finally after raising 3 grown boys now, I really wanted to do it again..I went to taxi school under another full time taxi and did this for the past 3 years until I felt I was ready to open my own shop, which I have done this year..
I built my shop out of a 1950 tobacco barn that was on our farm when we bought it..It truly has been a labor of love and a drain on ye old wallet getting it going but it's very satisfying seeing the results...And saved a very good old barn in the process..To look at it then and now you wouldn't even know it was the same structure...
It's been very rewarding and now to have the time and the place to do this makes my days alot better..The advice I would give you is to make sure you want to do this before you start...Once you start mounting for the public it's hard to turn back..Good luck, and let me know if I can be of help to you.David.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum