body building help pleas

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

body building help pleas

Postby highrisetackle » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Im open to any instruction. Just having trouble getting it right.
69 shots

15 mallards
5 gadwal
1 honker
1 ring neck..
1 goldeneye
1 new gun
highrisetackle
hunter

Re: body building help pleas

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Have you tried P90X? I've seen the results on TV, and man those guys are buff!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tam9492 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tam9492
hunter

Postby dtcrimm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Ha! :lol:

I'm going to be starting soon on my first duck and had a similar question... I decided to order one of the kits that comes with pre-made body's. What if my duck is larger or smaller than the preformed bodies? Should I add to the preform in area's where it needs it, or shave it down if it's too large?

Haven't gotten the kit yet so I'm not sure how it's going to work out.

One other thing, where do you guys get your needles for injecting into the feet and what size? I walked around Walmart last night and couldn't find anything, and was afraid to ask the pharmacist if they had anything for fear they'd think I was doing drugs :rolleyes:

Thanks!
dtcrimm
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Needles? Farm supply place. Some people mentioned the pharmacy. I get mine from a family prescription that doesn't use them.18 to 22 gauge needle will do.

As far as ordering a kit. You're right the body won't fit, but rarely the eyes will match either. Just order the body that matches the measurement of the carcass you removed. I lean smaller rather than larger. There are modifications you will have to make to the mannikin, and these are done using a knife or saw if some sort. I usually sand it after the modifications into a smooth shape.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm

It's easier to make a small body larger than a big body smaller. i.e., a larger body will cause a skin to bind and pinch and you end up fighting the bird and are never satisfied with the outcome. Get you a good hand held rasp to smooth and alter the bodies, it helps. I wrap most of mine from the carcass and make them smaller than the real body as I use caulk, silicone and some fiber fill to get the desired size I need after it is sewed up. Overstuff kills the chance of a good finished product. I marvel at a good friend and someone I consider the best in the field using a body that starts out so small it's unbelievable he gets the results he does. I often kid him thatr he can mount a Giant Canada on a Wood Duck body. It's all studying the anatomy, appendage placement and recreating what your mind tells you from good reference. The kits are so generic that they rarely fit what you are working on but are a good place to start however. Above all, don't get discouraged. I had to get a bigger garbage can when I first started from all the birds I trashed and tossed.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby dtcrimm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, that does help.

Waterfowler... just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you're saying you inject caulk (via needle?) into the birds after sewing to fill in? That sounds easier than trying to get a 100% perfect fit before sewing.

Ya I wasn't really sure where to start, so I got the kit... I figure I'll order piece by piece after this.
dtcrimm
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

I use monoject syringes like for irregating wisdom teeth scockets after surgery. Use thias mostly for the heads A tyvek extension can be used on them also. For under the wings, scaps, neck junction, etc. I use it straight from the caulking gun. Be prepared to amke a mess the first several times you try this!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby highrisetackle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Well anyone have advice for building body's from scratch.?
69 shots

15 mallards
5 gadwal
1 honker
1 ring neck..
1 goldeneye
1 new gun
highrisetackle
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum