Degreasing

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Degreasing

Postby 1080tommy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 pm

I am doing several mallards and a merganser this year. I have the manikins, and heads but am just wondering, after fleshing, what do you guys wash your birds in. I know there are factory degreasers, but does dawn work as well. Just a beginner question. The two that I skinned out last year developed a little more grease in the bodies than I would have liked. I washed thoroughly and fleshed the birds down to the feather tracks. Thanks.
1080tommy
hunter

Re: Degreasing

Postby King Eider » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 pm

DAWN DAWN DAWN Nothing else exists. Best product in the world for not only grease but blood removal. I sometimes let a bird soak in heavy dawn solution for a day.

Then RINSE RINSE RINSE in COLD of water as your hands can stand.
King Eider
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 pm

If you get grease burns or leakage then you aren't cleaning the skin completly as the residual fat is leaking out.

Dawn is perfect. For blood clots i use Era as it makes them disappear quickly. The Era emulsifies the clots and takes just minutes. Cuts down on the soaking and rinsing.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 am

I figured that I did not get all the fat off the birds. They are not bad at all and still look great I just noticed when I rubbed the back the feathers seemed to have a little heavyness to them. I guess that's the only way to describe them. Still good looking but I want to be sure to get this new bird really degreased because I will be mounting a very nice drake mallard and the largest duck I have ever shot. I am also mounting a bird for someone else. I am a novice and the person is a close friend and it is not his once in a lifetime bird but a nice one. He got a common merganser hen and would like to give me practice. I think it will be a great experience to mount my own nice drake as well as mounting something for someone else. I also have no pressure because my friend is not counting on a museum quality mount and told me that he would like to see what I can do with her and to give me practice. Thanks for the advice and I used a lot of dawn last time. I will do better at fleshing and then do a better rinse job with the dawn.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 am

Dawn works well, but cannot penetrate under tissue to get at the fat. It's an emulsifier and will only lift liberated fat from the skin. A truckload of Dawn will do you no good unless the trapped fat in the skin and feathers is unattached.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby King Eider » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Pat, can you tell me more about using Era? Specific type, Era, Era Plus? Soaking time, cold, warm water, amounts...?
King Eider
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum