BIRD ID

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

BIRD ID

Postby flyingdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 pm

My buddy shot these two birds a few weeks ago in central NC. Flew in with a group of Canadas. At first glance I believed them to be either juvenile specks (unheard of around here) or greylags. If im not mistaken the greylags would be more of farm goose around here, right? There were no bars on the chest, but do have some small amounts of black splotches coming thru on the chest. i am by no means an expert on waterfowl id, so still not sure. he wants to put them on the wall but wanted find out what they are first, just so he isn't mounting somebodys pet farm goose. I thought if anyone could help us id them it would be waterfowl taxidermist. Any opinions on what these birds may be???

goose.jpg

goose2.jpg

goose3.jpg
Attachments
goose3.jpg
goose3.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
goose2.jpg
goose2.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
goose.jpg
goose.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
flyingdog
hunter

BIRD ID

Postby jimmyscott » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm

I think they're specks.
jimmyscott
hunter

Re: BIRD ID

Postby flyingdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm

by jimmyscott » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 pm

I think they're specks.

i honestly have never seen a speck in person before. you think they are just really young?
flyingdog
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 pm

look like juvi specks, good eating too :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

BIRD ID

Postby jimmyscott » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Yes. I killed one last year that was the same way. Have you breasted them out yet? They are GOOD eating! As for mounting, I'd wait till I shot one with bars on its chest, but that's just me.
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 pm

jimmyscott wrote:Yes. I killed one last year that was the same way. Have you breasted them out yet? They are GOOD eating! As for mounting, I'd wait till I shot one with bars on its chest, but that's just me.

We breasted out one of them but haven't ate it yet. I heard they were good eating. Gonna find out I guess.
flyingdog
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 pm

jimmyscott wrote:Yes. I killed one last year that was the same way. Have you breasted them out yet? They are GOOD eating! As for mounting, I'd wait till I shot one with bars on its chest, but that's just me.

I can see why my buddy would want to get it mounted just for the simple fact it was his first speck, we just thought it was kinda rare bc i've not really heard of anybody ever killing any around her. but i can also see why not too with it being a juvi and all. Have you heard of many specks killed in the centeral part of NC? Is this rare?
flyingdog
hunter

Postby swifthunter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am

How big were they? They look pretty bulky to be a speck and more like a tame bird and the color looks kind of off for a white front. If they have any white on the head and no bars then they arent specks. I dont think that theyre specks, especially if they are the size of a bigger canada
swifthunter
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:12 pm

swifthunter wrote:How big were they? They look pretty bulky to be a speck and more like a tame bird and the color looks kind of off for a white front. If they have any white on the head and no bars then they arent specks. I dont think that theyre specks, especially if they are the size of a bigger canada

They are coniderably smaller than Canadas. There is no white on the head. As for the bars, there are none but do have some black splotches beginning to come thru on the chest.
flyingdog
hunter

Postby BlaineD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:56 pm

I have killed alot of specks and plenty of Juvies....believe me when I tell you those are NOT specks. I would say some migrants from Newfoundland Graylags I think they call them. Specks do not have that white on the tail feathers like these nor the wings. They also are not that stocky. Also possible some escapees from an aviary or local pond.......but not specks.
BlaineD
hunter

Postby BlaineD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 pm

In reading my post I should have said that the white specks have on their tail is different than these pictured. Specks do have white on the bottom and a V shaped white on top. Also in looking at my speck pics I have never seen one that didn't have some white where the head feathers meet the bill.
Attachments
IMG_3730.jpg
BlaineD
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:23 pm

BlaineD wrote:I have killed alot of specks and plenty of Juvies....believe me when I tell you those are NOT specks. I would say some migrants from Newfoundland Graylags I think they call them. Specks do not have that white on the tail feathers like these nor the wings. They also are not that stocky. Also possible some escapees from an aviary or local pond.......but not specks.

I really appreciate the help! So do you believe that these are domestics? Or something that has just been thrown off their normal migration pattern and randomly came here? I have read that greylags are like our Canadas in other countries and are hunted. Are they just considered to be farm geese around here?
flyingdog
hunter

Postby BlaineD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I am just going from memory on an article I read in Wildfowl Magazine a few months back on hunting geese in Newfoundland. If I recall the geese they were hunting looked very similar to these. I am by no means an expert but I am certain someone on this site knows. I would not think they are common at all!
BlaineD
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks man. We are just trying to get some kind of idea so my buddy can figure out if he is gonna mount it. What's you opinion on mounting it? Any other opinions on bird Id and whether not you would mount it from anybody are greatly appreciated.
flyingdog
hunter

Postby BlaineD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 pm

I would absolutely mount it. Check out the great taxidermists who sponsor this site and some others and send them an email with the pics and get their opinion. I can give you a few other names if you PM me.
BlaineD
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 am

Pat Pitt would be able to help you. In my opinion which means nothing living here in Wisconsisn, I would say white-fronted goose. Probably a fist year bird lacking the barring?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 am

Graylag.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 am

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=juv ... dlt=strict

Blaine, I see a bunch of pictures where there is no white at the cheek? Again, I'm not an expert. but these pictures in this link resemble the bird in question entirely.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BlaineD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 am

Pete I will grant you that there are some specks without white on the head but I have never seen one even Juvies that didnt have a little. But check out this link and compare to the pics above....i still am convinced based on what i see and where they were killed that its a pair of graylags
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylag_Goose
I love a good debate!
BlaineD
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 am

I think the picture in question is a tough one to make any positive ID, but both the greylag, and the White-fronted are so similar that there may never be an exact decision? I sent a message to Pat Pitt (The Waterfowler) on FB, and asked if he had an idea? He has hunted greylag (I believe in Iceland), and is in the midst of them where their duck club (L'Anguille duck lounge) is in Arkansas. He may be somewhere in the middle on the ID, and he may make a determination. Most importantly with the photo in question, it may still be anyone's guess?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BlaineD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:37 am

I agree whatever Pat says I am good with! If anyone knows Specks and Graylags its him!
BlaineD
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42 am

BlaineD wrote:I agree whatever Pat says I am good with! If anyone knows Specks and Graylags its him!

x2
flyingdog
hunter

Postby PADuck » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Any blue on them maybe its the shadows but they look like blue speck hybrids but I am not an expert by any means
PADuck
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:41 pm

By the way, Pat came back to Mississippi (home) and took a bit of time out and responded to the ID question. He said it was a greylag in his opinion. He shot them in Iceland as I remembered, and said they have been domesticated here in the States.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BlaineD » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Thats good enough for me. In any event I hope that bird gets under glass.
BlaineD
hunter

Next

Return to Taxidermy Forum