BIRD ID

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: BIRD ID

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:27 pm

BlaineD wrote:Thats good enough for me. In any event I hope that bird gets under glass.

Agree, and nice job on the identification. There were a lot of oddities killed this year. Some birds shot where they shouldn't be? Those storms pushed birds off course for sure this year.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:42 am

sure wish I woulda mounted the one I shot a few years back in the San Francisco Bay.... :sad: Hope your buddy realizes how cool it is to kill something so rare here in the States. Tell him congrats :thumbsup: This is the only pic I have of mine :mad:

this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby duckm4n » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:24 pm

definately greylag. the greyish feathers on the leading edge of wing(coverts) is a dead giveaway. we kill a lot of specks here in tx. and never have seen the greyish wing feathers. probably wayward migrants from europe, as the european widgeon often does. and most are killed on the atlantic flyway. really cool addition to a bag of birds!!!
duckm4n
hunter

BIRD ID

Postby m.teeter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 am

We did have a really pretty barred up speck come into the dekes last year with a flock of Canada's. I was out of the blind picking up a cripple and watched it all unfold from a distance. The rest of my hunting party killed all the Canada's around it and let the speck leave. I imagine you can see my frustration in this. We are also in central NC.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Sorry for taking soling to get back. All of the help on this is greatly appreciated!! My buddy has the bird at the taxi now! Can't wait to see the end results will post pics as soon as he gets it back.
flyingdog
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 am

The wings are a dead give-away for Graylags as the upper wing coverts are a bluish-silver on Graylags. Also as mentioned before there is more white on the tail area. They normally migrate to the U.K. from Iceland but as I've said there "ain't no fences in the sky" so anything is possible. They are also vary familiar to the "farmyard goose" as their voices are the same as many of them. They are almost circumpolar breeding from Iceland through Europe and the USSR to Mongolia. The ones we hunt in Iceland are the Western Graylags and stage on the SE coast of Iceland and jump to Scotland. Timing is critical in hitting the migration right there.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby flyingdog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:42 am

Waterfowler, I was just wondering since you hunt these birds and I know you have a wide variety of birds mounted, Do you have any Graylag mounts we could see?
flyingdog
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm

This is a Western Graylag which is what we kill in Iceland. The Eastern Graylags have a bright pink eye ring.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby johnsonthehunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:40 am

Id go with greylag
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 am

It being someone's barnyard pet is even more of a reason to mount it! :lol: :evilbanana: :sniper:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby morro bay » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

That greylag mount is gorgeous.
Ed
morro bay
hunter

Previous

Return to Taxidermy Forum