Wegion quality advice.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Wegion quality advice.

Postby allnighter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I shot this bird a little while back and did all the right thing to it before I put it in the freezer. Anyways the bird was kill the last day of the season but I feel like it should have more green on the head. In this area of Florida we dont really get that many wegion and this was my first so I just wanted so trained eyes to give me their thought on this bird being mounted.(sorry for any bad grammar or the such finals are killing my brain)

allnighter
hunter

Re: Wegion quality advice.

Postby wantingapintail » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 pm

That wigeon looks good to me! Who cares what anybody else wants. Do you like it? If so, mount it.
2010/2011 Season Totals
wantingapintail
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 am

wantingapintail wrote: Do you like it? If so, mount it.

I saw that a guy wanted to mount a gadwall hen and a blue wing teal hen on here. I couldn't imagine why. But he said that they are rare ducks in his area. He had no problem and was proud as ever. The duck is a great looking duck that I would mount even though we have a lot of them that come through. Aside from the looks, that duck might be a memorable piece you'd like to have in your home. I've seen immature birds mounted but they held a memory for the hunter. Throw it on the wall. And good luck with finals man. I just finished mine yesterday.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 am

Put it on the wall.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 am

Looks like a nice wall hangar to me!!! Nice bird!!!
1080tommy
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I'd say that if its a bird that means something to you based on a memory of the hunt then mount it. Otherwise, it may not be the perfect specimen. If it does mean alot to you though pay for a good mount near the $300 range but a qualified taxidermist. Look at the taxidermist's work firsthand before deciding. Goodluck and nice bird. I hope to get a nice one like that for mounting one day.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 am

great bird. Its as good as any. we hardly get any widgeon so I'd mount it for sure.

as for cost, dont focus on that. look at the guy's work. I've had birds done for 250 that look good. now I found a guy for 150 and you cant tell the difference.

:thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby allnighter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:12 am

Went I dropped him off. I have always known where I wanted to send a good/first pintail or wegion, the guy is pricey but does really good work. Also so for Christmas my girlfriend paid for the pintail so o might have to keep her around. Now I just have to wait he takes a long time and cost 280 but I'm sure it will be worth it for my first to mount. Now I just want to do it myself for fun.
allnighter
hunter

Postby GrampasGuns » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am

DO IT! I shot a really nice drake wig yesterday also, not too much green but this was my first duck season and I basically shot my drake at the buzzer on the last day. Really hyped, make sure to post your mount!
GrampasGuns
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Do it. That's gorgeous. Ie been trying to get one for 4 years. Congrats man
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Good call getting it mounted. My first one was plummed out about the same. I shot it at a lake in central Fl. Not too common. It was my second duck and he is mounted. It is my story from my first season. When I got the duck stamp for the '10-11 season I told my friend I would shoot the duck on the stamp. He told me drakes like that are rare in our parts and it wouldn't happen. Well, right at shooting light on that hunt a group came in and I popped him. I was just learning duck ID and such and picked it up not thinking much about it until my friend started freaking out. I have not shot one since.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359410505.296142.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359410534.367686.jpg
troutman561
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm

We get a lot of wigeon around here, this year especially so. Trust me when I tell you there isn't a thing wrong with that bird. However, the BEST reason to have it done is in your own post!

allnighter wrote:I shot this bird a little while back and did all the right thing to it before I put it in the freezer. Anyways the bird was kill the last day of the season but I feel like it should have more green on the head. so I just wanted so trained eyes to give me their thought on this bird being mounted.(sorry for any bad grammar or the such In this area of Florida we dont really get that many wegion and this was my first finals are killing my brain)

Have it done and don't look back. You'll look at that bird on the wall and always remember the hunt and shot.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Looks like a good drake to me. I love the white patches on their wings.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum