oldsquaw, how do i know if its to beat up to mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

oldsquaw, how do i know if its to beat up to mount

Postby drake176 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 pm

this morning we went to the shore and had a great hunt, my brother shot his first oldsquaw, we wanted to get it mounted due to never shooting one before in 10 years of hunting down there. what determines if it is to mangled up? its missing both eyes, the skull is crushed, theres a small hole in the head and a bigger hole in the neck. thanks guys for your help
drake176
hunter

Re: oldsquaw, how do i know if its to beat up to mount

Postby King Eider » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Only the person working on it will be able to answer for sure but unless there are major chunks of skin missing or feathers completely blown away birds are usually salvageable. Holes as you mentioned are not an issue.
King Eider
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:08 pm

People would be quite surprised at how much birds can be fixed up. If you send it to a good taxidermist it shouldn't be a problem at all.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I had a guy bring in a GW Teal in a shoebox in 3 pieces and asked if I could do anything with it...500 stitches later it turned out fine...There isn't a whole lot in ducks that can't be salvaged..Show some pics.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum