Hooded Merganser

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Hooded Merganser

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:07 pm

Here is one of the few mounts that I get to do for myself. I shot this hooded merganser last January in Creedmoor, NC.

Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:58 am

Nice looking bird. Hooded Mergansers always make good mounts.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:27 pm

Nice mount James. I have one in the freezer as well. Not too sure how I'm going to mount it as of yet. I actually have a pair of Hooded, and a pair of Red Breasted as well.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:20 pm

Nice work! I've always like the hooded merg. Back in 2003-04, I lived on Long Island (West Hampton) just 25 yards from Beaver Creek that went down to the bay and the ocean. I enjoyed watching from the kitchen window about 50 hooded merg. every morning on the creek.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:59 pm

I love hoody mounts. I got 3 already. Every time i shoot another really pretty one i have a hard time not mounting it. Definitely my favorite bird to mount.
Probably cause they dont eat that well
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:46 am

gorgeous bird
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby Dads_little_taxidermist11 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:37 pm

:thumbsup: i like this mount and i think that it is really good and i was wondering if you injected the feet and if you didnt i would suggest doing so and it makes it a lot better like my dads because he did one and it turned out great

signed Dads_little_taxidermist11
Dads_little_taxidermist11
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:09 pm

:getdown: HEY THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL MOUNT........ :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:30 pm

I've got a question about the "hood." My mount's hood does not come that far forward. Itsmore off the back of his head. I've heard there is a varation in species between the males and it involves their hood. Not sure though. It is the first bird I had mounted so I don't have many expectations but after seing some others, I not that impressed with his work.

Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby firebird » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Hooded M.'s can move their hoods all the way up and lay them right flat down so you can't even see them. Yours is about halfway which is ok also. When you drop a bird at a taxidermist, show him a picture or another mount that is very close to how you want your bird to look. Be very specific and make sure the tax. understands. I keep most species mounted at my house so my clients can see their type of duck already mounted and make a decision wether they want me to do their bird------or not. Shop around during the off-season and get a look at lots of work, just as serious as you would a doctor or dentist.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 am

you are right firebird. if the taxidermist isnt a hunter or understand the bird he wont really understand whatyou are looking at. i have seen guys who do beautiful head work and animal work thast dont understand birds

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:31 pm

One other point that needs to be made, is the fact that webfoot's particular bird looks to be a bit immature. If you compare a three year old Hoodie to a yearling, you'll see much more head gear on the more mature bird. I've mounted both, so I can tell you the difference from experience, is quite noticeable.

You should still be happy with the mount, because if your taxidermist would have flaired the hood fully, then it would have looked rather sparse.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Pete-pec and everyone else who gave some input, thanks for the clarification. Either way they are a beautiful bird with amazing colors. I think that's why I'm so drawn to waterfowl. The colors are so magnificent. There had to be an amazing "artist" painting these birds during the first seven days...(wink)

Michael
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum